Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been learning how to drive manual for quite some time now and i feel that i mastered the basics. Only problem is that its anoying when you have someone next to you always complaining "Dont do that you'll ruin your clutch"

I obviously know that ridding your clucth is very bad because the heat generated can actually, overtime, warp the perssure plate.

So i was just wondering beeing totally imobilized in traffic and having the car in gear with the clutch completely disengaged, will that damage my clutch overtime? Since it is somewhat annoying to put it in neutral and back in gear everytime.

Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
I honestly don't know much about manual transmissions, but since an auto is in drive during stops, I can't see why a manual would have to be in neutral...since I've never driven a stick myself, does the clutch have to be engaged at all while stopped and in gear (will it stall is what I mean)? I guess in my mind if you have to have it engaged and you're just sitting there, then there might be a slightly higher risk of damage over time, but completely disengaged, I wouldn't think there would be any problems since it's disengaged.

Again, I don't know much about manual transmissions and how they work...for that matter, I only really know the components of an auto and not so much what they do. However I can pull a Saturn S-series trans apart and rebuild it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can't put a car in gear, disengage the clutch and sit still. The car will stall. If you're sitting in traffic it's usually easier to just put it in neutral and put it back into gear each time you need to move.
Things bad for your clutch:
- riding it
- sitting on a hill and holding the car still with the clutch, no brakes

It's early that's all I can think of for now. There's tons you can do to screw a clutch or a transmission up. Chances are though once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't think it would hurt the clutch at all. I've done it plenty of times and I've had no problems. But this coming from a guy with little actual knowledge on the subject.

·
Registered
277 Posts
dumping it at 3k+ is pretty bad for it. Also, speed shifting is bad too. Everytime u use ur clutch, ur wearing it down, but as long as u dont beat on it constantly, it should last u a long time. I mean, i have 43k miles on my car and have been over 200hp since jan and my car still shows no sign of clutch wear.

·
Registered
496 Posts
dumping it at 3k+ is pretty bad for it. Also, speed shifting is bad too. Everytime u use ur clutch, ur wearing it down, but as long as u dont beat on it constantly, it should last u a long time. I mean, i have 43k miles on my car and have been over 200hp since jan and my car still shows no sign of clutch wear.
do oyu mean that if your RPMs are above 3000 and you engage the clutch, then that where's the clutch out quickly?

·
Registered
277 Posts
when ur at the track trying to get a good launch. I mean, some people dump it at 6k and jus sit there spinnin. I launch around 2700. Seems to work good so far.

·
Registered
496 Posts
when ur at the track trying to get a good launch. I mean, some people dump it at 6k and jus sit there spinnin. I launch around 2700. Seems to work good so far.
so 2700-3000 RPM is a good launch point? does dropping the clutch wreck it? i imagine it might in the long run...

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
never go for a taller gear than you should. Say like from 3rd to 5th as example or anything else like that. You well be mad when you find out when that gear is gone after sometime lol. Friend in his SS used to go from 3rd to 5th alot and when the dealer bought it back it had no 4th.

·
Registered
496 Posts
yes, but thats why i said 3k+. Anything under 3k is pretty normal wear n tear.
alright thanks for the tip. ive never done a launch yet where i drop the clutch. im a bit nervous to

·
Registered
496 Posts
never go for a taller gear than you should. Say like from 3rd to 5th as example or anything else like that. You well be mad when you find out when that gear is gone after sometime lol. Friend in his SS used to go from 3rd to 5th alot and when the dealer bought it back it had no 4th.
!!!!!!!!!! how the hell does that happen. The 4th was gone!! like totally stripped of teeth?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You can't put a car in gear, disengage the clutch and sit still. The car will stall. If you're sitting in traffic it's usually easier to just put it in neutral and put it back into gear each time you need to move.
Things bad for your clutch:
- riding it
- sitting on a hill and holding the car still with the clutch, no brakes

It's early that's all I can think of for now. There's tons you can do to screw a clutch or a transmission up. Chances are though once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.
Sorry got mixed up in therm terminology what i meant was engaged (pedal down)

Still trying to perfect it, for some reason shift from 1st to second is still a bit to rough to my liking. :)

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Sorry got mixed up in therm terminology what i meant was engaged (pedal down)

Still trying to perfect it, for some reason shift from 1st to second is still a bit to rough to my liking. :)
huh? what's wrong with skipping gears how can it mess anything up? i believe the car manual even says u can do it. btw for first and second i discovered when u shift into second hold the clutch down for a second then engadge and it should be smooth. Experiment with different durations of holding it down and u should get it. That is if you shift at 2500. Your goal is to try to have it engaged by 1500.

·
Registered
222 Posts
And once you get good upgrade the crap out of it so you can do higher rpm launches without damaging your clutch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To answer the original question no don't just sit around holding the clutch down. You'll ruin the bearings, just put it in neutral every time and let out the clutch. I know it sucks but get used to it for the sake of your clutch

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the original question was about the clutch, it does not wear when you hold the pedal down waiting for traffic to go. I will say however it does a number on the slave cylinder, it causes premature wear on it after an extended time and that is the real reason behind the don't hold the clutch down while at stops.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.