Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of LEDs headlight bulbs and now I’m returning them because the light just goes everywhere instead of in front of the car. I tried aiming them and it was not a success... Now I’m looking to buy regular halogen bulbs and there are a lot of models out there and wanted your opinion on them.

PIAA Xtreme White - 106$ CAD
GE Nighthawk PLATINUM - 53$ CAD
Silverstar ULTRA - 50$ CAD
Philips CrystalVision - 30$ CAD

What should I buy? Anybody still using halogen bulbs?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I still use halogens but none of the ones you mention. I buy the cheap ones on eBay and they work great. Around 5800°K gives you a nice white light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I can help you. PIAA and the ge don't last more than 16 months or so. Personally I'd go Philips or silverstar

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

I would get the Philips xtremevision. They don't have that blue tint on the bulb

·
Registered
266 Posts
the xtreme visions are some of the best you can buy (just my opinion), and i do believe your local walmart carries them, i think thats where i got mine from.

i will warn you, people will think you are high beaming them and high beam you back, so be prepared to be blinded occasionally lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
money-man: I wanted that blue tint so they would look white and not yellowish. Why do you insist on not getting blue ones? Did you have any bad experience? I already tried Silverstar Ultra and they don’t last more than that either... I guess more light output = short life.

Maple_man: Thx for the input! I’ll wait for money-man answer on blue tint bulbs and I’m probably order them! Are you sure your headlights were aimed properly? It’s not supposed to be blinding when you put halogen bulbs in reflector designed for that...

·
Say What again!
6,012 Posts
Because putting a blue tint over a halogen bulb is inherently going to reduce light output.

Silverstars are pretty damn white. I've had them on my Cavalier (low beams) since fall of 2012 now.

And that is correct - you shouldn't blind people with low-beams on - the lights are likely not aimed correctly.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah idk about the blue tint to the bulbs but i know my headlights havent been changed since my last bulbs. all i did was take the old bulbs out and put new ones in so they should still be aligned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because putting a blue tint over a halogen bulb is inherently going to reduce light output.

Silverstars are pretty damn white. I've had them on my Cavalier (low beams) since fall of 2012 now.

And that is correct - you shouldn't blind people with low-beams on - the lights are likely not aimed correctly.
Do you drive daily?! Last Silverstar Ultra set I bought lasted roughly 1 1/2 year... And yours 4 years?

·
Say What again!
6,012 Posts
Do you drive daily?! Last Silverstar Ultra set I bought lasted roughly 1 1/2 year... And yours 4 years?
Yes - this car isn't used every day in the spring/summer/fall anymore, but in the winter it's my daily.

I installed the bulbs at 220,883 miles, and as of yesterday's fillup, I'm at 250,786 miles.

So about 30,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes - this car isn't used every day in the spring/summer/fall anymore, but in the winter it's my daily.

I installed the bulbs at 220,883 miles, and as of yesterday's fillup, I'm at 250,786 miles.

So about 30,000 miles on them.
Ok! I think I’m gonna try the Philips X-treme Vision first. Then, if I’m not satisfied, I’ll try the Silverstar Ultra again!

Thank you everyone :)

·
Say What again!
6,012 Posts
Ok! I think I’m gonna try the Philips X-treme Vision first. Then, if I’m not satisfied, I’ll try the Silverstar Ultra again!

Thank you everyone :)
I have regular Silverstars, not the Ultras.

·
Say What again!
6,012 Posts
Sure does!

Friend of mine had the Silverstar Ultras in a Taurus he had, and it burned the factory harness up, due to the extra current they pull.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure does!

Friend of mine had the Silverstar Ultras in a Taurus he had, and it burned the factory harness up, due to the extra current they pull.
I’m not sure this is the reason as Silverstar Ultra are 65/55W like OEM bulbs...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I uninstalled everything and put in the OEM bulbs (still had them in case the ballasts failed). What a difference :O So much improvement over the LEDs! Also, there’s a kind of cut off, which was inexistant with my HIDs. I think we don’t like them because of the colour, but I’m pretty sure the beam goes farther with halogens than with HIDs...

·
Say What again!
6,012 Posts
Non-retrofit HIDs generally won't have much of a cutoff at all - most of them just blow light everywhere.

My HIDs seem to be an anomaly, as they actually have a relatively sharp cuttoff (at least when compared to factory halogen bulbs) and don't blind oncoming traffic. Extremely rare.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just do a retrofit and be done with it. And don't say "you don't know how" because we all didn't know how at first. It can be more expensive, but so what. Your increased safety is worth the investment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Say What again!
6,012 Posts
Not everyone can afford $200-300+ in the retrofits alone...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.