Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just wondering if i could get some input on what color of hid's i should get on my car. I have a orange ls coupe and stock light housing. What im wondering is if i should get the 6000k pure white? 8000k with that tint of blue? or go with a deep 10k blue? Which one do you guys think would look best lit up on my car? and what ever else you have to add.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
It's really a personal preference to be honest. I do not like the blueish lights so I got the 6k which are still a bit blue but it's as close to white as possible IMO. I dont think the color of your HID really matters in regards to your car color.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stay away from blue!! They perform poorly, especially in poor weather. The blue will also cause more fatigue to your eyes. The best color is gonna be 4,300k. It's pure white.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
5300°K is white and also the wave lenght that your eyes see best and for maximum light output(@same power), you want to stay in this area. But it is a matter of preference also since your eyes are different than mine. The higher you go the bluer it gets and then turns to purple. Some people find whites on signs are better read at around 6500°K. Easier to see a deer but harder to see a moose. So if you want color go above 6500°K, if you want to see where you are going stick to about 4500°K to 6500°K. I presently have 6500°K on my Mitsubishi and have 5500s on order. Cobalt already has 5500°K.

·
Registered
985 Posts
don't go over 6000k ish like has been said over and over. Your lights get right as F*** and you blind everyone (yes even with properly aligned projectors).

i had 8000 and it was too blue, 6000k currently and its a very natural color. took a few nights of driving to get used to the color, now its weird driving with halogens.

what coby7 said about the signs is a very good point. anything reflective, but especially white signs get extremely bright.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have 30,000k a.k.a. purple HIDs, it looks good but you don't see well. If I had to change, I would buy 6000k for sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another vote for 6000k. The color that I usually go with. Nice balance of looks (slight blue tint) and function (much brighter than "regular lights").

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have 30,000k a.k.a. purple HIDs, it looks good but you don't see well. If I had to change, I would buy 6000k for sure.
You know even a bolt of lightning rarely reaches 30,000°K so I doubt your lights do. Some HID sellers have been misleading buyers with their numbers. Most humans can't even see colours or very little of it above 12,000°K. Most birds do see to 30000°K. Sellers have been using the 30000K word as a selling point but without degree (°) and this refers to something else. I have even seen sellers advertising 30000K green lights. (Impossible green is around 4800°K at a very narrow bandwidth). A bit lower your in the yellows and a bit higher your in the blues.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You know even a bolt of lightning rarely reaches 30,000°K so I doubt your lights do. Some HID sellers have been misleading buyers with their numbers. Most humans can't even see colours or very little of it above 12,000°K. Most birds do see to 30000°K. Sellers have been using the 30000K word as a selling point but without degree (°) and this refers to something else. I have even seen sellers advertising 30000K green lights. (Impossible green is around 4800°K at a very narrow bandwidth). A bit lower your in the yellows and a bit higher your in the blues.
I don't know, on the little box, it was written 30,000k so I guess it is. But it's possible that they aren't 30,000k.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
5500 to 6000°K will be perfect. Now this is BS, you can't believe everything you read.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just retrofit. With a nice set of projectors using 4,300k, you'll still have purple at the cutoff. That's called the "color flicker effect." It looks SO much better than shitty 10,000k bulbs. People who try to mimic this by using a higher kelvin bulb is just fail. Retrofitting is more money, but it's SO worth it. I did my retrofit last year with my tax return. I plan to redo the retrofit with some better projectors next year with my tax return. I have Mini H1s and they're better than stock and WAY better than the PnP kit I had. I plan on upgrading to FX-Rs so I can have a more intense high beam and actually use Philips or OSRAM OEM D2S bulbs.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Morimoto Mini H1s are the easiest. They just screw on through the bulb hole. It'll cost you around $270 for a full retrofit kit from The Retrofit Source. That includes ballasts, which are virtually bulletproof. There's lots of info on the internet, including HID Planet on how to retrofit. It just takes a little time and patience, but it's SOOOO worth it.

I haven't done FX-Rs yet, but they're mounted differently. Some people use bolts to mount them and some people use epoxy and some use a little of both. I plan on bolting them to the halogen reflector.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Now I know it's not 30,000k haha, so what is it?
If your lights are purple and you can still see in front of you your lights are probably in the 10000°K to 12000°K. If you find that your eyes get real tired and strained at night you can blame your lights. Also studies have shown that oncoming drivers get what is called in french "le fixe" where drivers get fixated on your purple lights and lose concentration, some even head for the lights, this more with purple lights than let's say white lights. DOT is contemplating banning the purple lights for this reason.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Those blue/purple lights are already illegal. Cops just don't really enforce it. A retrofit isn't exactly legal either, but at least they don't blind people.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.