Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct brand of oil to use? Regular conventional oil not the synthetic oil. The owner's manual says "Engine oil which meets GM standard GM6094Mand displays the American Petroleum Institute (API) certified for gasoline engines"
Sooo i can see the API stamp on popular brands of oil i.e Quaker, Mobil, Pennzoil etc but WTF is the GM6094M stamp...it's says in the manual if you don't use this then your warranty could be void!! those of you who do you own oil change or take it to a shop other than dealer..is your oil GM&*&*&*?

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
I highly highly doubt that GM will void your warranty if you use something like castrol. I've had my car in for warranty work a few times and no one has ever said anything about the oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dude that was a quick response....but i am wondering was it engine related work? and would they have then questioned??

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
no it wasn't, if you are really worried you can call the dealer and ask them. But unless a non GM approved oil causes your engine to blow up you won't have to worry about what type of oil you use

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
What is the correct brand of oil to use? Regular conventional oil not the synthetic oil. The owner's manual says "Engine oil which meets GM standard GM6094Mand displays the American Petroleum Institute (API) certified for gasoline engines"
Sooo i can see the API stamp on popular brands of oil i.e Quaker, Mobil, Pennzoil etc but WTF is the GM6094M stamp...it's says in the manual if you don't use this then your warranty could be void!! those of you who do you own oil change or take it to a shop other than dealer..is your oil GM&*&*&*?
just use the mobil 1 synthetic its what they use in the ss models and synthetic oil is better then the regular crap in non ss models

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
im pretty sure that the molecules in oil are not stamped with brand info lol
This.

5W30 is what is called for. It does not call for a brand.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
AS long as you have had the oil changed regularly with north American oil you are fine, basically any oil sold in stores.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you look at the back of the quart/jug of oil, they usually will list their oil as meeting various manufactuer specification. If you drive a Cobalt SS/SC or SS/TC, you'll need to run Synthetic. Otherwise, you can run either Synthetic, regular, or a blend.

Most oil you're going to find in autozone and Wal-mart are fine. Just make sure its a #W-30 oil (0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are all fine). Do not use SAE30.

If I recall correctly, Amsoil and Royal Purple are not approved by GM, so if you run those, just be aware of that. They won't make your engine blow up if you use them (Arguably, they the top tier oils).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.