Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
32 to 34 is a good place to start but different tires will need different tire pressure. Check your tires once in a while if you find they wear outside threads faster than middle then I suggest that you increase by a couple of psi's. Vice versa if it wears center faster reduce tire pressure until you find a happy medium.

Had them inflated to 40 psi for the ride home to seat them properly then reduced pressure for comfort.
Right now I'm running my new Hankook i*pike's at 33 psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
My cobalt came with with stock tires at 195/65/15. The correct tire pressure is 35psi in the front and 35psi in the rear.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Engineers at Chevy probably put a lot of time and money into there calculations for the correct PSI, I'd go with that
GM sales also wants the car to ride comfortably. Let's be honest here, the Cobalt is not the most comfortable car, sure it's better than a honda or a Corolla, but if you inflate the tires to hard it becomes like one of them. At 30psi it rides OK but it wears tires on the outside. That is why I was saying check for wear once in a while and adjust tire pressure accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You will lose mpg's by lowering tire pressure but you will gain traction in snow. So find a happy medium that's good for you and your tires. Just check for wear once in a while.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm sure they're even now.

:idea:This is how I make sure all four tires are equaly inflated. This little invention of mine has four air hoses, one going to each tire. With air pressure gauge. As soon as all four are connected all four tires equalize. Then you add air to 4 tires to inflate or remove air from all four at a time. Works great, even my neighbours borrow it now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I never mix and match. This is the car my daughters use for back and forth travel to university. 4 brand new Hankook winter i*pike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.