Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT

Not sure if that part is broken but its located next to steering column. The car started making clunking noise and can feel it in the floor panel when turning the steering wheel even slightly. Any help is much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
If the mounts broken, or really torn, you’d feel your engines vibrations, not the steering.

Give the intermediate shaft a look. It has a U joint that can wear out or become rusted. Mine makes the clunk and I may try and replace my part. But I have a feeling it’s the rack and pinion.

Hopefully you don’t have other serious issues. There have been problems with the gear and motor that are in the steering assist, electric power steering. That can become a headache. I’d try an intermediate shaft first though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a similar clunking noise of my 08 - lots of worn parts - but the major clunk turned out to be something you wouldn't normally even consider - the sway bar bushings were worn and the sway bar was moving back and forth as you turned the wheel - and you could hear it clunk as it moved - not saying its your problem but I was surprised to find it was mine
JP

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was surprised that my sway bar made so much noise. But a close look and I also noticed it was able to move side to side. Bushings were about $16 for the premium Moog.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I too would look at replacing the front torsion bar bushings.
They are realively inexpensive and quick to install.
See posts here about clunk clunk on every bump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts