Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my very first post and I figured I'd start off with a question. I just got my 2005 Cobalt LS Sedan about a week ago. The Fuel Economy read about 28 when I got it. Since I started driving I reset it and am only getting 25 or so. It's an automatic and has no mods whatsoever. Completely stock. Wheels have low tread on them and need to probably be replaced soon. Thus far I've only been doing city driving except for maybe 20 miles of highway out of the 115 I've put on in the past few days. First day I drove it for 100. :D First car so I decided to break it in and go visit friends. :D Anyway. What MPG should I be getting. It's been fairly hot (high 80's to low 90's) and I've been having AC cranked up. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
383 Posts
with everything in good condition (spark plugs,clean filters,good tires and no mechanical problems) and not gunning it and stopping all the time you should be seeing 30/35 and maybe even 40 with careful driving. Now if your like me and race up to every red light and be the first to take off then you'll be getting anywhere from 23ish up to 27/28.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
City driving will net you about 23-25. Keep revs below 2500, and coast to red lights. Hot weather will help gas mileage - AC usage will not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll adjust my driving habits and see if I can get it any better. Work is about a mile away with 4 stops in between so that's not so great on my mileage. I'm not accelerating very hard and I'm trying to coast as much as possible. I didn't mind so much when I drove my parents cars but now that I have to pay for gas on this one I'm a little more careful. Thanks for the feedback. Any other tips to increase it without spending any money? What should tire pressure be? Anything else?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
i've always found that tires in need of replacement seem to burn more fuel than new tires/year old tires. I keep my tire pressure at 32. Although some sites claim 38-44psi will gain you a mpg because there is less rolling resistance

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The back right one was under inflated for a while and now has basically removed all tread on the outer edge. All the tires are low on tread, but that's the worst. Probably going to be replaced within the next year. I'll check my tire pressure and get it in the right range if it isn't already.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you try and anticipate those red lights on your way to work to minimize hard braking you will increase your mileage by quite a bit. Texas lane changing is a gas guzzler.

Maybe you should fill your parents car fuel tank once in a while as a sign of appreciation now that you know how they must have felt everytime they got in the car and it was close to empty. LOL It would be the polite thing to do as a show of respect and a sign of maturity. Make sure your dad has a good hearth before you do this though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you try and anticipate those red lights on your way to work to minimize hard braking you will increase your mileage by quite a bit. Texas lane changing is a gas guzzler.

Maybe you should fill your parents car fuel tank once in a while as a sign of appreciation now that you know how they must have felt everytime they got in the car and it was close to empty. LOL It would be the polite thing to do as a show of respect and a sign of maturity. Make sure your dad has a good hearth before you do this though.
I refilled it on occasion, especially my dad's since I'd put the pedal down sometimes. It was a 4Runner but had a big V8 in it so it took off in a hurry. I didn't really drive them like I was racing but I'm just a little more attentive now that I'm paying for it. I try to anticipate as much as possible and I seem to be doing a bit better now. Turned off the AC since I'm only in the car for a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
When im driving mine kind of hard/like a normal person I get 315 miles to a tank, which according to my fill up earlier today is still 32 american mpg. (I dont go til the light turns on either)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
krazedkitty; That smiley:nahnahlooks like a horny lesbian.

For good gas mpg, easy on the pedals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
25 city sounds normal to me! If you really want to save on gas, you can always bike to work :nahnah

&:Welcome:
Well I was seeing the MPG thread of what everybody got and mine seemed low in comparison. It's still pretty good in general but wondered if it was below average. I guess not. And thanks for the welcome.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My daughters are getting about 7.5 liters to 100 Kms, now that it's warmer. That translates to about 29 miles per gallon US.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seem to be doing a lot better with adjusted driving habits. I reset the counter and it seems higher. I drove it kinda aggressively the first day, which brought down my average.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But don't let it become OCD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.