Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What plugs you guys running in your 2.2's. I am wanting to replace my plugs and am needing some input on the best yet nice on the wallet. I have been told that a plug is a plug! I was thinking auto light Dbl Plat. or ACDelco OE replacements? Need some advice and experience/tested. Thanks guys and girls!

·
Registered
159 Posts
AC Delco OE Plugs are good for 100k miles. So it won't hurt to put them back in...they are around $7 per plug at Advance Auto Parts....it ain't too bad. I wouldn't put nothing less than a double platinum if you don't want to use the AC Delco plugs. Cuz our plugs are the iridium plugs so they should last awhile. Autolite makes an Iridium plug and they run $6.59 per plug. Just remember don't forget to use Anti-seize and Dielectric grease.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i checked my stock plugs at 35k and they looked good to go. when i do replace them i will get the OEM ones since i am stock

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cannot stress enough... Stay away from BOSCH PLATINUMS! I've heard many others complain about their engine running real rough from them. I didn't know this until it was after wasting my money I got to experience it for myself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I replaced my oe plugs at about 20k and i used the bosch platinum +4's i've never had a problem with them at all. but i also put in the cai about a month after i bought the car then i did the exhaust at about the same time as the plugs

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the postive feed back. The dude at Checker auto parts told me that OE plugs on my car should be dble plat. They recommended autolights. I have not yet intalled them. I want to hit 50,000 miles (which is in about 900 miles) How easy changing the plugs on a ecotec? I know that the dude gave me plug grease...let me know guys are gals!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you are stock use the recommended AC Delco plugs. They last up to 100K miles. Bosch sucks, Autolites..eh, wouldn't recommend unless you are on a budget.

Replacing the plugs are rather easy if you take your time. The COP (Coil Over Plug) comes off. If the boot is sticky on the plug DON'T GO PULLING THE CRAP OUT OF IT. Take your time and twist it, it will pop loose. Once the plugs are ready to be pulled, they should come out rather easy. (word of advice) .. these are aluminum heads!!! DO NOT START PULLING THE PLUGS WITH THE ENGINE HOT - YOU CAN DAMAGE THE THREADS AS THEY EXPAND WHEN HOT. Pull the plugs on a rather cool engine. Take the new plugs, check every plug gap, reinstall the plugs. Use Dielectric grease between the boot and the plug. DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put the COP back on and you should be ready to go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't get E3 Diamondfire plugs. Ever since I bought them($9.00 per plug), the same engine code goes off every now and then(Engine Misfire-Multiple Cylinders). Waste of moola, better suited for v-8's

Plus, since it's only a 4-cyl., you don't get improved MPG or HP, or at least not recordable improvements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.