Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no expireance with this at all..... what should i look for wen buying subs and an amp, what amount of rms/wattage would be best for a pretty load bass to the point where i can feel it....

what size of speakers should i get and what wattage

all i really care about is bass and the feel of bass

what price range am i looking at and what should i look for wen buying these speakers??????

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well what are your preferences? sound quality (SQ) or just balls out bass (SPL) and how much are you looking to spend? if you want just a little bit of bass then get something cheaper and possibly single voice coil.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
if you listen to rap and hip hop and like heavy bass go for 12 inch subs. if you like tight bass, or you listen to faster music like lots of dance/electronic, metal or rock, you<ll probably want a powerful 10 inch or two. I have two 12'' JBL's and they DESTROY. i love em. As for price, it really depends if you want to add a little bass to your music or have a bangin' system. Costa range from $500 to thousands of dollars for the whole setup.

You can either go with a single sub, which will save you some money, or go with two sub setup, but that gets expensive(unless you buy crappy equipment which i GUARANTEE will f*ck up in a month or two).

If you go for one sub setup, then you'll need a sub, a box for the sub, an amp for the sub, a wiring kit for the amp and sub, and probably you'll want to go with an aftermarket head unit. This could run you anywhere from $500-1000 depending on what brand and wattage of sub/amp you get. A 2 sub kit means a bigger amp, a bigger box for the two subs, usually a bit bigger wiring kit (not always) and more reason to go with aftermarket head unit.

I could go on for hours. PM me with more of what you are looking to get out of your system, and I can suggest some good brands and setups that would fit your budget and surely make your drive a happier one!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Go to a store that just deals with car audio and take a look around and listen to duff set ups they have avail. Thats what I did. mine cost 1400 installed that was everything. Head unit, 2 X 12" subs, amp, wiring, front speakers, rear speakers, and the wiring that allows my info to still work with an aftermarket head unit. I think it was worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you listen to rap and hip hop and like heavy bass go for 12 inch subs. if you like tight bass, or you listen to faster music like lots of dance/electronic, metal or rock, you<ll probably want a powerful 10 inch or two. I have two 12'' JBL's and they DESTROY. i love em. As for price, it really depends if you want to add a little bass to your music or have a bangin' system. Costa range from $500 to thousands of dollars for the whole setup.

You can either go with a single sub, which will save you some money, or go with two sub setup, but that gets expensive(unless you buy crappy equipment which i GUARANTEE will f*ck up in a month or two).

If you go for one sub setup, then you'll need a sub, a box for the sub, an amp for the sub, a wiring kit for the amp and sub, and probably you'll want to go with an aftermarket head unit. This could run you anywhere from $500-1000 depending on what brand and wattage of sub/amp you get. A 2 sub kit means a bigger amp, a bigger box for the two subs, usually a bit bigger wiring kit (not always) and more reason to go with aftermarket head unit.

I could go on for hours. PM me with more of what you are looking to get out of your system, and I can suggest some good brands and setups that would fit your budget and surely make your drive a happier one!

Hey wat up, I listen to rap 100%, whatever has the best beat.....I talked to my friend and he talked me into getting one sub instead of two but with better quality, more rms wattage, better amp, ect.

althogh i do like the looks of having 2 subs tho, other then that what all do u need for wiring it, do u connect it staight to battery or could u just disconnect the subs that the cobalt comes with on the top of the trunk and connect those wires connecting those to the amp then amp to aftermarket subs. if that makes any sense lol just tell me what u would do man.....

thanks, chris

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Hey wat up, I listen to rap 100%, whatever has the best beat.....I talked to my friend and he talked me into getting one sub instead of two but with better quality, more rms wattage, better amp, ect.

althogh i do like the looks of having 2 subs tho, other then that what all do u need for wiring it, do u connect it staight to battery or could u just disconnect the subs that the cobalt comes with on the top of the trunk and connect those wires connecting those to the amp then amp to aftermarket subs. if that makes any sense lol just tell me what u would do man.....

thanks, chris
Okay, well, I have 2 subs, with pretty good wattage but not huuge (hopefully upgrading soon lol). 2 subs will move mor air whereas 1 powerful sub will deliver clearf, tight bass. Good choice though.

Now, what you will need to do is choose a sub first. i am running JBL's, which I think is an amazing brand. Pricey, but ebay is your friend. I recommend the power series 12'' if you can fit it into your budget (p1222 or the new equivalent). It is a verry powerful sub, and don't let the RMS fool you, all their subs are tested at 7x their rms value for quality and clarity. I know that rockford fosgate make some sick subs too, p3's and what not. Find a sub that fits your budget etc. After deciding on a sub, then you;ll have to choose a good aftermarket amp to deliver enough power to it. I would recommend getting an amp that has the RMS value a bit higher than that of the sub. (just make sure when you install it that you don't max it out, blowing the sub lol). Also, if you want to upgrade your head unit (suggested) then do so now. Doesn't have to be too pricey but something with ipod or mp3 control as well as good sub/bass/EQ setting is really good to look for. Check the specs for the sub, and it will tell you what size the box should be. I go with vented boxes because they do deliver more dB and more punch. Sealed box will be different than ported a bit. Bit less loud, less air movement I guess. Now, the wiring kit will allow you to connect this all up. If you are getting a capacitor, get 3 farad or above if you can. Power acoustik makes a great one, me and some friends have them, (mines 3farad) works amazing and not very expensive either. The wiring kit will have a fuse between the battery and amp connection (or if you buy a capacitor, then the wire will go from the battery with a fuse on the line, to the cap, then from the cap to the amp...ill explain this in more detail after you buy the system).
What is included in the wiring kit is large power wire for the power supply to the amp and capacitor, as well as auxiliary cords, which connect from the head unit subwoofer output to the amp. If you give me a budget I could get a better idea of what kind of stuff to suggest. Wiring kit is pricey if you buy from a store, try online as well. Amps are the only thing to watch out for when buying online. Try and find a friend who works at a major electronics store who can buy it for you with his discount then slip him a bit extra lol. that's how I got my rockford p1000.1 (which got stolen 2 yrs ago :'( amazing amp).

All that said, do your research, get back to me with a budget and I can help you more if you need. After you decide what to buy, we can talk installation (if you decide to do it yourself). Sometimes, it is worth it to buy a package that includes install if there is one offered at a store with good equipment.

I hope this answers some questions man! ask any questions and ill get bakc to you asap.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Go to a store that just deals with car audio and take a look around and listen to duff set ups they have avail. Thats what I did. mine cost 1400 installed that was everything. Head unit, 2 X 12" subs, amp, wiring, front speakers, rear speakers, and the wiring that allows my info to still work with an aftermarket head unit. I think it was worth it.
this is okay, but the system will sound completely different in the car then on the wall of a big store. Different setting, space, head unit, etc. When you have your own system, you modify the setting on the head unit, gain, power, etc to make it perfect for your car depending on its interior space etc. So if you have friends with systems have a listen first, and do lots of research online for good reviews etc is what I say.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do i 100% really need a copacitator or whatever it was called, right now i can only spend like 400 or less but i was really wanting to get some other stuff like exhaust, rims, lowering kit, tint, probulay even more.

on best buy i found a kenwood package marked at 220$ with 2 subs and an amp each sub being 800w max ( 200 rms ) and amp being 350 W max heres the link

Kenwood - Party Pack with Two 12" Subwoofers and 350W Amplifier - P-W1200

i know its cheap and not the best but would this deliver a good sound and "feel" of the bass; please look at that link and tell me what u think and maybe even find something on their for me that u would get with my price range

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm gunna butt into this and I checked the link you posted to the kenwood "party pack" and honestly it's not worth it IMO, your going to be so dissapointed if you have heard a good system...from experience you spend that money but 2 months later you are going to be dissapointed with the quality and you are really going to want to upgrade, I went through 3 systems before I got the one I have now which cost me almost $3000 in components. With your budget I would honestly just upgrade the stock speakers for now which will make a difference and when you can get more money go for the system

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yah but would that be worth it??? i'm not really that much interested in the voices from the song like singing but the actual bass and feel of the bass....would upgrading stock speakers do that and if so would i still need an amp

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
do i 100% really need a copacitator or whatever it was called, right now i can only spend like 400 or less but i was really wanting to get some other stuff like exhaust, rims, lowering kit, tint, probulay even more.

on best buy i found a kenwood package marked at 220$ with 2 subs and an amp each sub being 800w max ( 200 rms ) and amp being 350 W max heres the link

Kenwood - Party Pack with Two 12" Subwoofers and 350W Amplifier - P-W1200

i know its cheap and not the best but would this deliver a good sound and "feel" of the bass; please look at that link and tell me what u think and maybe even find something on their for me that u would get with my price range

You do not need a capacitor, you can hook directly to the battery with a fuse on the power cable. You will def. need the wiring kit though.
$400 is not much to get real good quality bass system, but this kenwood system you wana to buy will give you a small amount of bass. IMO I would def wait till you have more than $400. unless you just want to have small amounts of bass. I personally love loud, hard hitting, crazy bass. You won't get anything near that with the kenwood 'party' pack. my system alltogherther ran me I would say about $2500+, and it kicks hard, but i'm still looking to upgrade my subs to get more boom.

If i were you, start by upgrading your head unit, then slowly buy equipment when you have money. Start by saving up for a solid sub, then wait a bit, buy the amp for it, or the box, then get the wiring kit when you have everything else, then get it installed. You will have to wait a bit longer but you WILL NOT regret it, the smile on your face will be huuge the first time you hear that sub kick in your car. I remember mine was.
Did my install finally today of my system into my new balt, and got the smile again. sounds awesome!

A cheap, small kit will leave you broke and wanting more. And try to buy online (maybe not the amp) and get deals on the equipment. That way you get better quality equipment, and save lots of money, and you'll be able to have a sick system for a lower price.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
how much rms wattage and max wattage will i need for the subs... i found another sub (alpine) that was 1500 W max and 500 rms....
heres the info from the website...

*12" Dual 4 Ohm Type R Series Subwoofer
*Power Handling:
*Peak: 1500 watts
*RMS: 500 watts
*Impedance: Dual 4 ohms
*Parabolic Kevlar reinforced pulp fiber cone woofer
*High Amplitude Multi-Roll (HAMR) Santoprene surround
*HAMR Surround integrates a concealed mount gasket for Alpint Type-R grille
*Custom Cast Aluminum Frame with Integrated Perimeter Venting and Heat *Transfer Plate
*Cast aluminum perimeter vented heat transfer frame
*Compound Radius Curve (CRC) Motor structure
*Spiral cut aluminum former with high temperature DVC Winding
*Radial Vented VC Heat sink and Airflow Management System
*Mirrored progressive Nomex Spiders with reinforced layer integrated tinsel leads
*Insert push terminals with one-sided layout
*One-sided terminal layout
*1-year SonicElectronix.com warranty

or heres the link....

Alpine SWR-1242D (TYPE R) (swr1242d) 12" Subwoofers Car Subwoofers Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix

along with this amp heres the link....

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11796_Kenwood+KAC-8104D.html

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well what all would i need to upgrade the stock speakers in the car....

number one... are they speakers or subs?

number two... would i need an amp or wiring kit

number three... would it still sound as good

number four... how much would i be spending

thanks

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
well what all would i need to upgrade the stock speakers in the car....

number one... are they speakers or subs?

number two... would i need an amp or wiring kit

number three... would it still sound as good

number four... how much would i be spending

thanks

Have a friend with the type R's (it is a subwoofer by the way if that's what you're asking). If the price is good, get it! it's a great sub! not the best IMO but comes close. Especially if you get it for a good deal. If you like heavy bass this sub will make you happy. Now it's 500RMS so you'll want a amplifier for this sub that is atleast 500rms as well to give you the sub's full potential. Shop around a bit.

You can install the sub first (with the amp etc) then upgrade the stock car speakers later. I just installed 2 12'' subs today with all stock speakers though. Sounds great, but obviously imma change the stock speakers to components (which means same size as the stock door speakers, but there's the midwoofer and tweeter seperate, for better high's). if you don't have the money for good speakers, buy the sub and amp and install them, then wait to change your stock speakers. I'm gonna wait til after x-mas, cuz even if I got the speakers now, i could not install them because my garage is fully taken up and it's snow here so no place to do install (i do it all myself). There is another amp (4-channel, not mono which is for subs) that I am gonna get when i upgrade my speakers, because i want to get the most out of them. Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
oh and i messaged you on your wall, check it get bak to me!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I had subs a long time agoon my first car. 2 alpine s's and 2 alpine 650 mono amps. it loosened bolts. it destroyed the car. it will rattle your car to pieces. just a heads up.
I dynamat-ed my whole trunk and tightened the trunk lid bolt. Nothing shaked except my rearview (which i didnt give a f*ck about, i could still see out of it fine). sounded awesome on top of that. Would never go back to stock sound.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.