Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought to lower my 08 lt on sportlines and was wondering what struts to get. I know konis are good and iv heard kybs are good but I'm just wondering what people are using with their sportlines. Thanks guys

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
'08+ FE5 (SS/TC) Struts and Shocks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing, except I have H&R springs. I've been considering the Konis but a lot of people have been saying fe5 shocks/struts are the better option for the price. It seems the fe5 might be a better bang for the buck, but perhaps not the overall better product. Just my opinion from what I've been reading. I'm not sure what I'm going with, yet though, still looking for some more opinions.

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see, so the fe5 will hold up on a lowered application? so obviously they're interchangeable within models of cobalt, I have the base model cobalt unfortunately so I just wanna make sure the fe5s will go on my car.

I'm not extremely mechanically inclined, so are shocks/struts difficult to swap out?

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
Yup, they'll bolt right up. I have them on my LT. And no, not really difficult. Swapping springs might be tricky for ya, but a local shop can usually do that for cheap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah, my springs are already on my car, i had to get a shop to do it. it seems your pretty confident in the fe5 system, perhaps that's what I'll go for. I like cheaper products that perform better then expensive ones :D

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
Yep, my suspension setup of: '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC springs, SS/SC front sway bar with Moog endlinks, SS/SC FE5 control arms handles extremely well. I just need a rear bar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was wondering about control arms as well, actually, because my buddy told me he had Skunk2 control arms on his integra and he said it handled like a gokart. but I don't see any aftermarket control arms for the cobalt.

I think i'm going with Eibach sway bars front and rear, and perhaps a DC Sports strut tower bar

What do the Moog endlinks do?

Also, wondering if you could help me out here, I have the fe5 rear struts added to my cart in this link, but the front shocks don't say fe5, so are either of these the ones that i need? i assume i need the ones w/o 4 wheel disc, even though i have disc in the front (obviously i dont have disc in the back) http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
no aftermarket control arm except for zzp. upgrade to the ss/sc or tc if you were to do that. i wouldn't sugget eibach for sway bar. get an SS/SC front sway bar and either a powell rear bar or TTR rear bar. strut tower bar isn't worth the money, buy other stuff instead. moog endlinks are thicker and more durable than the stock ones and will tighten up your suspension.

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
ZZP makes tubular control arms for the Cobalt? Are they worth it? Not really. The SS/SC control arms (SS/TC CA's require the SS/TC steering knuckle) are cast aluminum, and are a huge weight savings compared to the stock stamped steel ones. Also, they have a bit more camber built in, and will help handling a bit. I found mine for a very good deal, which is why I bought them. I'm glad I did.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Eibach stuff - lately, their products seem to have a problem with...well...breaking. Ask Agita_san - he had some Sportlines break in half recently. Not to mention, their front sway bar is too big, and will cause the car to understeer, which sucks.

STBs on our cars do nothing but look cool. I have one, but that is because I think it visually ties the engine bay together. If you're looking for a handling benefit from it, you won't find anything that's able to be felt.

Moog endlinks are thicker than stock, and therefore are more stable, and increase the effectiveness of the swaybar. If you run an SS/TC or SS/SC front bar (which I'd recommend, not to mention - they're dirt cheap, and as big as you want to go), you'll want to get Moog end links for the SS application.

TTR and OTTP/Powell make the best rear swaybars for our cars. The TTR one is the cheapest, and very good all around. The Powell/OTTP (buy Powell if you can, OTTP really just copies the bars) bars are excellent too, and they offer two bigger sizes: the 1.25" (31.75mm) Hardcore bar and the 1.5" XXX bar (38.1mm), both of which actually induce a bit of oversteer, generally likeable for racing, as FWD cars tend to understeer inherently.

·
Registered
90 Posts
man i need to spend more time on this forum before i do stuff to my car... getting a lot of info here!

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
lol kyle you totally said EXACTLY what i said right before you lmao

just in more detail of course
Yeah, I was typing it before you replied, haha

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

ss/sc front sway bar= PITA to install with no lift
Yes it is. Any front swaybar is. Remove the downpipe and it will be ten times easier.

·
Registered
90 Posts
damn... like how difficult... not easier jacked up on stands??

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
damn... like how difficult... not easier jacked up on stands??
Took me and my buddy about two hours to swap swaybars.

Had I known to remove the downpipe, it'd of taken 30 minutes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also, wondering if you could help me out here, I have the fe5 rear struts added to my cart in this link, but the front shocks don't say fe5, so are either of these the ones that i need? i assume i need the ones w/o 4 wheel disc, even though i have disc in the front (obviously i dont have disc in the back) gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

·
Say What again!
6,225 Posts
Order them from Rock Auto. Way way way faster shipping. And might be cheaper. Just make sure you select your car as an '08+ SS/TC

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Struts:

AC Delco
506684 (right)
506683 (left)

Shocks (need two)

AC Delco:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i did my front sway bar with simply dropping the rear engine cradle a bit and wiggling it through.

definitely consult the forum here before you do anything to your car blindly

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.