Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching and havent come up with too many people that seem to venture to build a n/a motor. Id like to hit about 200 WHP + with my 2.2. I was thinking of going s/c for a while but decided against it. What all will make me hit this power level? I am going to do a 2.4 intake manifold, bigger TB, cold air intake, and a header/downpipe. A place near me does HP tuners, so I will get it tuned there on the dyno. I know those few things might bring me to 160 wheel on a good day, but would something like different plugs, wires, coils, injectors bring me closer, or is internal motor work a definate? I read into doing cams, but everyone suggested against it, that there wasnt a specific one made for the balts, and that machining was required, and def dont want to spend 700 on cams to have them ground. Please post any insight, or ideas, but my plan as of now would be to hit about 200 n/a wheel hp without doing extensive motor work.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You could theoretically hit 200 WHP on a N/A build, but you'd easily spend at least twice as much (If 3 or 4 times more) as a FI build. The easiest and cheapest way to hit that number is to supercharge.

If you're dead set on doing N/A, you'll have to get custom cams, a much better intake and exhaust, advanced timing, port and polish on your head, increase your compression ratio, and a very aggressive tune at minimum... even then you may have issue cracking 200 crank.

The LG0 quad 4 doesn't even hit 200 Crank and it is one of the highest compression 4 bangers GM has produced.

N/A builds are more cost-effective on large displacement V8 engines... 4 bangers respond better to forced induction.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
individual throttle bodies from a gsxr, custom silicone runners, high comp pistons, milled head for compression, cams, neutral balance shafts, lots of head work (valves, springs, retainers, port), lightened h beam rods, balanced crank, lightened flywheel and lightened pulleys. it would probably make about 250-280 but it would be the sickest power you could ever make! way more fun than FI. high revving obnoxiously quick throttle response. expensiveeee

·
Registered
197 Posts
With it fully bolted on and the head opened up it should easily make 200hp. Cams would make it a lot easier too, but if you have an 07 or newer you have the cam sensor so it makes it harder to do.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the cams need to be ground to fit the sensor. stop buying pre-ground cams which do nothing and have custom ones made for literally the same amount of money and it won't cause any headaches. most brands like crower and comp are familiar with the cps issue by now.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OP...You do know that because you have a XFE the final drive gear ratio will hurt your performance...especially in the accelleration area? Building a strong engine with your car's gearing will be a disappointment. Your car was built for mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.