Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what to do?

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  MizzouCobalt 
#1 ·
so a friend of mine is wanting to help me with modding the balt. Here soon we are gonna search some junkyards for either a supercharger off an ss or a turbo off a saab. If we can't find either in good condition I'll probably just go with all new stuff. But anyway, my question is with tuning. Should I go with the aem fic or the trifecta tweak? I would just go with the aem fic and not think twice, but I wanna get rid of the governor. Suggestions?

#2 ·
Some people go with the trifecta tuning,but I wouldn't go with a supercharger at a junkyard though you can go to jbody performance and get a supercharger that they rebuilt for about 900 dollars,I believe a junkyard would charge at least 1200 or more.Get the basic modding out of the way though if you don't have the exhaust system,downpipe,header done already,but if you plan to go turbo then might as well wait until you get the turbo first,then the other stuff.Like me I don't want to go with the turbo since there is turbo lag also you have to rebuild the turbo each time to make it run again,as for supercharger I am not 100% sure if they need to be rebuilt each time like a turbo to make them run properly.

#3 ·
I highly doubt a junkyard would charge more for a used supercharger than jbp would charge for a new one. If so, I can get a lot of the stuff to make my own turbo kit for that price, considering that you can buy a turbo for $300.

#4 ·
yeah you can buy a turbo off ebay for the cobalt for about 250 to 300.Like me though I am going the supercharger route still

Reactions: Mponce305
#5 ·
yeah, I'll prolly end up doing that cuz its cheaper and turbos are more efficient. But I'm still wondering about the aem fic versus the trifecta tweak. Any1 on here have any experience with the aem 1? Cuz I think that the balts governor controls only the fuel and just stops more from going in at a certain mph. If so, I'd think the aem one would be fine.

#6 ·
Arent the turbo's in a SAAB pretty small too? I am pretty sure they use baby size turbos to prevent boost lag but if you want to boost your balt for performance i would recommend at least a T3/T4 size turbo.

#7 ·
actually someone on ebay is selling a turbo kit for the cobalt for 888 dollars.not sure if its a complete kit though,not a 100% familiar with turbos.

#8 ·
Too bad I don't have much cash right now... I've been thinking about making one completely custom. And I think I'm going to try to keep it all of decent brands, so its gonna cost some more than I thought.

#10 ·
That's the thing, I'm really doing this instead of the garrett kit because it will take up more time. I'm kinda hoping I can take up some free time during spring semester (when I'll have the money), then work on it a bunch next summer for something to do. I've been bored as hell this summer. I'm in no rush. Also, in the end, it'll end up being almost the same price and my own kit will be better. Better turbo, external wastegate, bov, the works... I think that the biggest trouble will be the tuning, and I have that pretty much figured out (what I'll do for a real tune, not actually how to tune, that's another part of the taking my time with this).

Also, since I thought of it, if anyone knows any good books for tuning, tell me.

#11 ·
I plan on running a turbo on my balt. I went to the junk yard a picked one up off a saab 93(for $30). The nice thing about the turbo off a saab is that its not huge. What people dont realize is that the bigger the turbo is the harder it is to spool. So a unless your going to run a stupid amount of boost a saab turbo is ideal. Now I've done a lot of research and I only live about 20 mins away from zzp. So i took a trip down there one day and talked to there mechanics. He told me that the aem system is perfect if your not planning on running more than 7psi. Wich 7psi on stock internals is just about the limit. He said he could tune my car on 7psi with a aem system in less then an hour.

Im building my whole kit and im plannng on being strip ready next summer for $1000. Tunning is the biggest thing with F/I so dont cheap out on that step.

#12 ·
I was going to go with a T3/T4 turbo, which has some of the best spooling characteristics of any. Also, if I wanted, it would be perfect for if I ever wanted big horsepower.

I'm not going cheap on tuning. Unless you consider getting a pcm from another model that I can use hptuners on cheap... I already have my eye on a used pcm from an ss/sc, I could buy that and tune it. Then if I ever decide to go stock again I can just switch em back out.

#13 ·
Hope you know that by switching PCM's, you are gonna run the risk of major flaws with electrical??????? The PCM for the SS/SC is a fair bit different from the one run in the LS/LT, flow ratios, engine dimensions, air mixtures, and all that. Best bet, dont install it until EXACTLY when you are gonna tune it!

#19 ·
dont install it until EXACTLY when you are gonna tune it!
I won't. Most likely I'm going to have everything put on and taken off several times just to make sure of the fit of the intake/exhaust. Then, when everything fits perfect, I'll install the pcm, do a basic tune, then do initial start up with everything.

And I do know that this won't be easy. Some stuff is bolt-on, but I'm going to have to figure out a lot of the little things. Most likely if it gets pretty rough for me, I will go to Whiteman Air Force Base. They have a shop thing there where you rent it out and they can provide someone to help you install whatever you want, and those guys have done everything over the years. Their job in the Air Force is to help people with car projects. My bro works at Whiteman, so I'll just stay with him. I know this will be a big task, but not impossible. Basically, if I need help, I'll go back to stock and I know where to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.