Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got rear ended last thursday in atlanta. tore up my rear bumper, tail lights, and trunk. dont know about any underlying damage yet but the driver that hit me ran off after trying to bs me at the scene. probably did not have insurance but i have uninsured motorist so my car is being fixed. actually got pushed into the car in front of me and that guy ran off too. if anyone who lives in ga sees a late 90s 4 door gmc jimmy with a messed up front end let me know.

would they total the car over this if their is damage to the unibody? car only has 10k miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
typically because a. he didnt want a ticket for the accident, and b. he probably didnt have insurance and would go to jail for that. far as beating him down goes i probably would have if i could have gotten to him, happened during rush hour on a 4 lane highway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry to hear that... with Insurance Co. it really depends....

Long ago, I had gotten in an accident with a Mazda Millenia I had (I got rear ended and side swiped by the same vehicle)...I had severe under body damage, but since I owed more than the car was worth..Insurance figured it would cost them more to total it! So, they cut a $5,000 check to the Auto Shop and fixed my car. I then sued the Insurance Co. for $6,000 more!! Good luck with everything. What's important is that you are ok and lived to tell about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2010 sedan lt. far as me paying for it goes it is considered a not at fault accident. if they do raise my premiums then i'll do what my friend who had hit cobalt hit by a semi tire that came off on the road did, get the state insurance commissioner to fix it. after his office got on them for raising his rates they dropped them back down.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have a sedan rear bumper cover and the metal bumper piece that bolts to the frame. Only about 4 hours from you, if you need to get these parts and cannot find locally.

And the point about a late 1990's GMC Jimmy with a messed up front end, that is about 80 percent of those here in the south.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
2010 sedan lt. far as me paying for it goes it is considered a not at fault accident. if they do raise my premiums then i'll do what my friend who had hit cobalt hit by a semi tire that came off on the road did, get the state insurance commissioner to fix it. after his office got on them for raising his rates they dropped them back down.
I hope things do work out for you... Just think back to my original post when it's time to renew your policy or especially when anything changes requiring you to go to another company. They will look dimly upon a 3 car crash and no substantial documentation of blame or wrongful doing by a specific individual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i did have witnesses that are on the police report, so them trying to bs me should be out of the question. then their is the onstar report where they detected a rear crash. if they try to jerk me around i'll drop them in a heartbeat, i havent been paying insurance premiums for the last 11 years for nothing. far as the bumper goes, the car is at a gm body shop getting estimated right now and the insurance company will be picking up the tab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just got the first estimate today, so far we're looking at almost $5000 in damages and they have to repair the unibody, which i dont like the idea of that at all.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
that sucks dude, but at least you're covered. that's why I make sure to remember the license plate whenever something shady happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trust me id remember it if i had actually got to see it, the way he pulled into traffic i was unable to get a view of it, had another car right on his rear which blocked my view

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
your insurance company will consider it totaled if the damage is 75% of the cars total blue book value (might be a different source) usually make that about 65% cause they low ball you of course. so, if there is subframe damage the cradle is not that expensive. but the paint, the shocks, control arms, struts and all that shit is. all i can really help you with unless i see the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.