Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got extreme temp paint (1200°) to put on the edges of the cooling vents and hat of the rotors I am receiving this week. What should i use to prep the metal to get the paint to stick well? I have a 3 inch wire wheel (fine )and assorted wire brushes right now. Should i get sandpaper too? If so, what grain? After paint, should i bake the rotors or let the bedding in process cure the paint? I appreciate any input

·
Registered
922 Posts
pretty much go by what the directions on the paint say. Your going to want to scuff the finish of whatever you want to paint. I've never really painted with high temp paint, but I would imagine you would want to use some kind of primer to get the paint to stick better, like you would with anything else that you paint. As far as what to use to scuff it, sand paper should be fine. I would say use something like 180 grit, then got finer to about 320 grit or 400 grit, clean, the prime, clean, and paint. I've heard of people painting the part where lug studs go through that meets the rim, but I've never seen anyone paint the outer right with the cooling vents.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I always paint the outer edge and the hat and caliper and caliper bracket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Coby7 that is exactly what I am going to do, but with glossy black high temp.

How did you get a perfect ring around the rotor hat? I am planning on getting a matching sized bucket to fit over the hat and KY Jelly-ing the remaining friction surface that I do not want painted. And did you bake your rotors or did you just let the brake heat take care of it?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If I remember I found a soup bowl that had the right circumference and I cut out a piece of cardboard. I used etchant primer then used alumniblast and lastblast paint. The stuff dries fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.