Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people, i was just wondering what type of engine oil are you using? including the brand and what type of engine your cobalt has also at what oil life percent do you guys normally change it at?... just out of curiosity cause i have a 2.2L always use synthetic and change around 30% cause to me 70% so called dirty according to the monitor seems a bit much loll but i just wanted to know what everyone else uses/does thanks :)

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

oh sorry also include where you live and how the climate is! becuase i dont know if this is true or not but i herd if you live in a hot climate you can use thicker grade oil???? vr living in a colder climate you should use a thinner oil ... i dont know even know if its a myth loll.. so ill leave it upto you guys loll

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Valvaline full synthetic 5W-30 @ 20%. About every 10000Kms.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^ I do every 4k. I've noticed I start to lose performance after that... also a wix filter, Fram is trash, seen them as comparisons at auto shows you esentially pay for the grip crap and a piece of $h*t filter.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic, AC Delco filter. Usually change around 8k miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Damn!!! I use fram filters! :/ good to know tho time to switch to a better one...
I use FRAM and never had a deteriorated cartridge yet. But I change my filter regularly. So I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know where he gets that painted grip or what engine he has in his Cobalt.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

^ also a wix filter, Fram is trash, seen them as comparisons at auto shows you esentially pay for the grip crap and a piece of $h*t filter.
Was this test done by an independent test firm or by the WIX rep that ran scissors through the FRAM filter before the test.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i really didnt understand the "grip crap" he was talking about but i think he was talking about the material the filter used ??? but ive herd good things about wix filter plus its only a few dollars more, ive never had a deteriorated cartridge in a FRAM filter either, but from the rumors i have herd people state that FRAM filters are not that great for keeping stuff,whatever it maybe, out of your oil also i only change my filter when its time for a oil change...hopefully its not suppose to be every 5 months or so...i think ima go a full synthetic 5w30 with a wix filter :) just for the peace of mind loll

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30

I'll change the oil when it says about 20-30% but I'll swap out the filter at about 60%. So i use 2 filters per oil change. I have a tough time sleeping at night when the oil is over 5000 miles if i don't at least make that move.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Wix is good. I also change the filter halfway through between oil changes since it's so easy.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
Meh, mine's still fine at 8-9k miles...but I wouldn't run it past it.

And having an SC definitely makes for a more difficult filter change, haha

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ohh good to know!...is it recommended to swap your filter on midway point of your oil life, or do you guys just do it for a better sleep at night loll, i think ill start doing that too, if it helps my car stay healthy and its only a few bucks once a while i dont mind loll

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well I figure synthetic oil is a better oil but not sure if it's any better if it's dirty. So it can't hurt to clean it a little. Anything to keep the timing chain oiler hole clean.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use any major brand dino that's on sale at Wmart. I use 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. I usually use a Fram cartridge since it's also available at the big W. Interval is every 3k miles. I usually keep my vehicles for 130k to 150k miles..and they never burn oil...

...well...there was the wife's old '97 Saturn SL2...that thing burned allot of oil.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
My friends dad runs a auto parts store and has for the past 30 years and he explained to me that the fram filter is like any other $1 filter and the painted grip is the black stuff like plastic dip (obviously doesn't pertain to our filters since they are internal, sorry for not clarifying). Just passing the knowledge that's been passed to me.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Conventional 5w30 every 3,500. I did a lot of research on the synthetic, but I'm still undecided on whether or not it justifies the price tag. I've got a lot of buddies that swear on the Mobil, so you can imagine the crap I get.

I'm interested to hear the rationale of synthetic users... maybe I'll yet change my stripes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.