Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, what would you do if you were given the money for a highend car? this is actually a serious question. Its a really long story, but to try and make it short my mom had her hip replaced and then the replacement was recalled. My mom isnt real old but medical issues has caused her to to go on and off FMLA in the past and is currently back on it. I live at home with her just to help with times like this. She told me today that when its over with shes getting a new house and car and buying me a car. I just looked at her and said alright, BMW and she said yeah. I think i rather have the money tho and save it and invest some. and later on use it to help buy a house. anyone got any input?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if its recalled doesnt that mean she needs to get that fixed or sumthin is WRONG
yeah I figured it would be needless to say its gotta be replaced again, which is why she is back on FMLA.

I should add to my first post by saying they are paying to have the replacements replaced. I bet thats why this post I quoted was made.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so did her insurance cover the hip replacement then it was recalled so they replaced it again and gave her abunch of money ?
First one was done 2 years ago and yeah of course insurance covered it. the second one is coming up. the insurance isnt paying for the second one, the company that designed it and the company that produced it is paying for it. the lawsuit is nation wide. its effecting many, many people. some details I cant give but some are public info.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not all houses will give you the return you would like. Same as a car... Id save the money period. Let the interest rise in a savings and when you need it.

The money will be there for important changes in your life and for emergencies. Maybe make a small down payment on a home but I would save the majority of it man...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
well technically all the stuff you spend money on will cost you more money so id say split it between nicer car, savings, and house/student loan (if appicable). if you can get a decent amount for your balt id say just get something mid-size to full-size sport but not a bmw. something more like an impala ss, caddilac cts, or even grand prix gxp, those are nice cars but im a lil bias I like GM products. just remember insurance rates on a bmw wont be too pretty depending on what it is (& in general high end foriegn cars are more expensive to keep up etc)

but hey if your happy with your cobalt, keep it! (possibly add a few mods to it if your heart desires instead)
save your money for something more important on the priority list!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I would save it for a down payment to a house/pay off all loans as well, and when you start working full time you will have plenty of money for whatever car you want. But if you already have money in savings for a house, then I would buy a 370z and twin-turbo the beast (which is what I plan on doing once I start full-time as an engineer)

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
If I had the chance to get a car or keep the money for, as you said, future like a home or something I would go for the future before a car, no second thoughts. Having a home and maybe even it in the process to where it could be paid for is alot better than some car I would get blah about after a year. Early retirement, HELL YEA!

That is what I am working on now, getting stupid bills I shouldnt have paid for, get a home and invest my money and be able to take it easy when I am 50 or so.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Bill... save some... and get a lower end car instead.... like a charger or Chrysler

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I would save it for a down payment to a house/pay off all loans as well, and when you start working full time you will have plenty of money for whatever car you want. But if you already have money in savings for a house, then I would buy a 370z and twin-turbo the beast (which is what I plan on doing once I start full-time as an engineer)
engineering FTW! same with me!

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.