Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's wrong and I hope its not my transmission :(

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ellatica 
#1 ·
Ok so I've been recently getting a very bad high pitched squealing/sputtering/scathing (hard to tell) for 5-10 seconds when shifting my auto transmission while standing in one place.

I'll start my car, shift to reverse, hear that painful noise, shift to drive, hear it more, and when I realized its when I shift gears I'm pretty sure they all did it or at least reverse and drive I haven't had time to really look into it.

If this is an issue that's going to be expensive then I'm selling the car and getting an ss, my brothers Lt sedan had absolutely no problems and its an 07 while I've had to change more shit then I can remember and deal with flooding and odd sounds every week this is really pissing me off because I love this car but can't deal with some new repair every week :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Also the car drives perfectly, no gear slips, delay, or power surges, just a painful sound upon initially changing gears and then its like it never happened until the next time I stop, there's no leaks and everything seems to be ok but I don't know anymore

See less See more
#7 ·
I applied pressure to two different areas on the belt facing outside and didn't see any cracks, though its pretty hard to reach in there and check more than that unless I take out the stock air intake

I'll take a video hopefully capturing the noise the next time I start my car, its been really bad when putting it into drive for 10-15 seconds or so and gradually getting worse and more apparent

#9 ·
I would suggest that you take the vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer. A diagnosis is an important part in determining the cause of the noise and nature of the concern. It also helps to determine the estimated cost of repairs. Once a proper diagnosis has been conducted by a GM dealership you can decide how you want to proceed. I can find a local dealership for you. If you would like for me to do that please send me an direct message.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

#10 ·
Thanks but that all depends if its worth repairing it. I can't be going to a dealership every week to fix something new.

My brothers 07 Lt sedan hasn't required anything to be changed on it except because of one accident. He got it at 27k and now its getting close to 110k km and has had to do nothing but oil changes and changed his brake pads once.

I can't justify this expense to my parents, the car had 51k when I got it and its at 68k now. I feel like I lucked out with this car, and hopefully this isnt something major, but I'm sick of starting my car to have it squeal, scream, hiss, vibrate, or click at me in a different allusive way every time I start it, its an '09 not a '62.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.