Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this thread is for all of us to post up whatever project cars we are all into and what we would do to them. You can include any car that you think you could realistically afford to build, just getting a feel for what kind of cars you all enjoy :smile1:.

So to start off, I've always wanted a V8 LS1 Camaro or Trans Am, about 75k on one- what I'd do would just keep it simple, headers, catback, slp/ K&N lid, mild cams, lower, rims and WS6 suspension- that would probably be all since they have awesome power stock.

Since this I'm not allowed to buy a V8 car without getting kicked out, I've been searching and found something awesome..

The 87-88 Pontiac Fiero, America's only mid engine coupe. They are beyond cheap and can be found with very low miles for a small amount of $$$. So what I would do, pontiac bonneville supercharged V6 engine swap (pretty low $$$ conversion) and some supporting mods to that engine- I've read they can be 11 second cars with just that swap and minor work. I just wish I had the space/ tools/ and experience for a conversion like that, but for the cost its definitely realistic.

Ok share up, what cars would you build and what would you do? :)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Well you guys might find this shocking but I am looking for at this a 1997 24 valve dodge cummins, I would put straight pipes coming out the bed and level with the cab, I would then Bully dog chip it and get it tuned in were I could get good fuel mileage and when I need it towing or more perfromance. And little things like intake. but first i need to find one.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Notice the title doesn't have dream car anywhere.. I'm asking about project cars you would build with a similar budget you have now...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I mean I'd pick up something used.. I don't believe in new cars lol, or paying em off.. One huge lump of cash payment FTW... But lets keep it on topic :idea:

·
Registered
381 Posts
As a guy who really wants to get into Auto-X and track days, my first project would probably be a highly-prepped Miata, potentially boosted. Maybe even one of the later Mazdaspeed models that came with a factory snail.

People can yell "chick car" all they want, but the Miata is the most popular racing platform on the planet for a reason. It's filth cheap, extremely well-balanced, and has such a vast array of parts available that you can build one to do anything. I had the pleasure of getting absolutely destroyed by a caged/supercharged 92' at my first Auto-X event :laugh:

The SS/TC will do me well in Auto-X for now, but I'm hesitant to take it out on a real road course (i.e. Mosport Park) for fear of wrecking my DD. With the Miata, I could keep the SS as a DD and track the Mazda without fear.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Miatas are cool when done right, you need to take a vid during an Auto X session once :idea:. I wish I could compete in some type of sanctioned racing.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Right now finishing up a 1989 jeep YJ Wrangler with a 4.3 Chevy, 700R4 Transmission, Atlas 4.3 transfer case, front cage, 4 inch lift, 33 inch BFG mudders, cowl hood. All it needs is transmision mount, skid plate, new steering column(from sitting tool long), new fuel pump.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
i had a mild amusement in the back of my mind about my girlfriend..... I would love to get her a Celica and just keep good tires and fresh paint on it.... totally doable. Celica's are sexy as hell IMO and every girl deserves one :)

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Not long ago we had a 1958 Plymouth Fury sell locally for $1,600.00. It was rust free and ran. If I had known about it at the time that car would be mine!!!! If it sounds familure it should... CHRISTINE. **pics are from movie, not the local car.**

I would need a set of loud speakers under the hood that played "Bad to the Bone" on command, and a remote starter to scare the shit out of people.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i'm workin on a 1982 honda prelude as we speak i picked it up last friday and been tickering for now gotta take the trans out this weekend and take it to the shop.

·
Registered
455 Posts
1969 chevy camaro z28. it'll take most of my life to finish it with my salary but it's always been my dream to restore one of those on the outside and inside, but have the engine be as powerful as possible

·
Registered
485 Posts
WOULD LIKE TO FIND:

2nd Gen Z24 V6:

Or

Chevy Monza 2+2 Hatchback:

I'd much rather find one of these where it's good mechanical wise and would rather just deal with body work/interior work

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.