Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did the search thing and I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for. My 2008 LT Sedan is getting a "groan" which sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front wheel. It seems like when I turn right, the noise dissipates. I tried calling 3 GM dealers and all of them told me the service and repair shops are only open Monday through Friday. So I am a little irritated that these wheel bearings would start announcing their failure at around 57,000 miles. I would expect this to be covered under GM's 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Is it not?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
A wheel bearing can last 20000 miles like it can last 200,000 miles but GM warranties them for 35000. A good pothole hit a year ago might be what started your bearing disintegration. Not that big of a job and if you purchase an aftermarket and bring it to your local grease monkey you should pull through under 150$.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ABS, so the cost of a whole new hub would be more.

I did slide into a ditch last Winter. The lip on the rim on that side got bent, but Les Schwab was able to fix that. After I was pulled out of the ditch by a tow truck, I started to drive back home and there was a lot of shaking. Les Schwab hosed out a lot of mud from the wheel. So maybe that shaking from a horrible unbalanced wheel due to mud and gravel could have started the disintegration as well?

I've seen a video or two on the wheel hub replacement and some pictures. Doesn't look too hard. Only thing I don't like is jacking up my car and messing with brake system.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
60$ on eBay

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that seems reasonable. I will give this a lot of thought and see if I want to tackle this myself or just have a repair shop do it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I have ABS, so the cost of a whole new hub would be more.

I did slide into a ditch last Winter. The lip on the rim on that side got bent.
As I was saying, if you hit hard enough to bend the rim you hit hard enough to damage the bearing. You only need a little nick on the race and time takes care of the rest.

4 lugs or 5 ?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it's a 5 lug. I checked in the trunk at the spare tire because I don't want to risk cracking the hub caps trying to remove them. It shows 5 lugs on the hub caps, but I can't tell if those "lugs" are real or part of the hubcap.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
It looks like you're on your way to addressing your wheel bearing already. The Powertrain limited warranty does cover wheel bearings, per a dealership diagnosis and evaluation to verify that the concern was caused by manufacture defect or workmanship, and I've included a full list of covered components. Hope it's helpful to you, and if I can be of any further assistance please let me know!

Sarah
GM Customer Service

Engine: Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing
chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing,
OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets,
turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated
parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump,
harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are
covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.
Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case: Case,
all internal lubricated parts, torque converter,
transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals,
and gaskets.
Drive Systems: Final drive housing, all internal
lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant
velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal
joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential
actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings,
seals and gaskets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! I will definitely be calling the dealership in town on Monday and see if I can possibly get it in there on Tuesday.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tutorial. If ChevyCustSvc says it's covered under warranty and I can get it fixed for free, I'll go that route. If the GM dealers around here don't want to honor that warranty, then I'll tackle it myself.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Print the previous post be ChevyCustSvc and bring it along...to save some arguing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the dealer this morning. They said it's covered under warranty and said to bring it in tomorrow morning.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
:bigsmile:Good for U, that much less to worry about and you can start loving your Cobalt and ChevyCustSvc again!:bigsmile:

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Great! Please keep us posted on how everything goes, and if I can be of any further assistance I'm available!

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my car back. No charge or anything. They also discovered a warped brake disk, which I figured I had. I had to brake hard today because the retard in front of me was taking his sweet time merging into the right turn lane and I didn't notice any shimmy in the steering. I'm still hearing a noise, but it's not as loud. It doesn't seem audible at 60 MPH, but I can hear it around 30-50 MPH.

·
Registered
95 Posts
mine went out around 65K so i swapped with them ones i bought from ebay they were only a 105 for a pair so i changed both fronts, did it myself took me about 3ish hours but saved me alot of money! heres a link for the ones i bought from ebay...

2 FRONT WHEEL HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY 5 LUG ABS CHEVY PAIR | eBay

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

oh sorry i shoulda added more info ...they were 5 lug bearings with a year warranty! :) you should deff shop around for your best deal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.