Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this elsewhere but not getting much feedback but for one person, there must be others that can offer and idea. my cobalt is making noise like it is getting a bad wheel bearing I can't tell what side or front or back. with the geo's you can turn the car and if the noise reduces in a right turn it is the left front left turn it is the right front no change and then go for the back bearings and they are loose. but on my car I jacked it up tried to move the tires top and bottom in and out rocking and they all are tight. I spun them and I can not hear or feel any sign of a problem. so I have a few options I can take them off one at a time and inspect them lot of work, or just start replacing them lot of money. what other test might I try to determine what bearing may be the problem? the car is an auto 2.2 with 106k on it.

another question can the bearings be removed and replaced? that will be cheaper than getting the complete units. anyone did this repair? I have Detroit ball bearing distributor just down the road and I'm sure they can get the bearings for it. thanks

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
You have to replace the whole hub. If you can't get your wheels off, horse kick each opposite side of the tire til it comes off. The hub assembly can be found anywhere between 20 and 40 online. Just make sure they are for your transmission

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
There is a how-to to replace them on the DIY forum as well. From my understanding the best test is to shake the tire and watch for play. I have 140k and get tech inspected almost every other week in the summer. No one has given me an cause for concern on my bearings (that is in the top 5 of things they check for).

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Beat me to it Jamie!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i jacket up the front and ran the wheel at speed was hard being they are antilock but finally i got them to 100 mph and i could hear the roar but could not determine which wheel. i tried to move the wheels as mentioned here but they are tight yet. and just by turning them by hand gives not results. but i did crawl under and put a stethoscope to the hub area and i could hear the drivers side making noise at both the hub and transmission the passenger side was wuite at both locations. so it may be the hub is sending the noise up the axle to the transmission and i heard that. i will change the left front this weekend and then if i still hear noise it will change the right. heate to spend money on a working part but that is how it goes sometimes. but it sounds like the left one now with the scope. thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I changed out the d/s wheel bearing today. that is the one that was making the noise. I used a stethoscope to determine that was the one because all other test failed to show me for sure. it turned out to be an easy job outside of getting to the part. all the fasteners were rust free and came out easy. for 6 years in Michigan winter that was great. but then I use an electronic rust preventer guess it is doing it's job. thanks for all the help

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
well I changed out the d/s wheel bearing today. that is the one that was making the noise. I used a stethoscope to determine that was the one because all other test failed to show me for sure. it turned out to be an easy job outside of getting to the part. all the fasteners were rust free and came out easy. for 6 years in Michigan winter that was great. but then I use an electronic rust preventer guess it is doing it's job. thanks for all the help
Glad you got it fixed. You from MI?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes i'm from muskegon mi. live about 4 miles from the ocean? or what looks like the ocean. pretty darn big lake.

i have some people tell me they have had tons of troubles with there cobalts. outside of a computer that failed and the wheel bearing i can't say that. it gets 28 mpg's on the roads 50% c/h driving and it drives nice. quiet roomy enough for me and the wife. only issue i had was the front rubber lower suspension arms wearing out. i repalced the 3 times then i sprung for the exspensive ones and they seem to be holding up. but the dog bone sway arm links are just junk. for the problems i get from them i'm thinking of removing them and just not using the sway bar. thanks bp.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Just replace the links with Moog ones. They are quality and won't go bad fast at all. I recommend them to everyone. If you run your car without the sway bar, you will have a much worse steering feel in the car, and you will have a lot more body roll. Not recommended to run without them.

And Muskegon huh? That's a few hours from me lol. I'm in Battle Creek.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Replaced my passenger side front wheel bearing today. Pretty easy DIY. Local Chevy dealership wanted $249.00 for the part. Advance Auto and Auto Zone had them from $90 to $170. Also had all four wheels aligned. Everything was way out of wack! now everything runs great.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The dealer replaced both my front wheel bearings for free. They both failed before 40,000 miles. They're part of the 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They wouldn't do mine because it has a salvaged title. Only thing they cover are recalls. Got the car for a steal and just turned 40k. With the exception of a couple of stains in the seats, it looks and runs like it is brand new. Good enough for my grandson to take to college next month.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
They are a great car for students. I gave my rebuilt to my daughters 2 years ago at 23457 Kms, it now has 83680 Kms. I replaced a bearing and evap canister pressure sensor. That's it the rest were unnecessary mods, but did them just the same for the girls. Dual subs in the back, cruise, armrest, trunk wing, 2 dual USB chargers front and back seat,LEDs galore so on and so on. Oh! also replaced DRL loop that burnt.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They wouldn't do mine because it has a salvaged title. Only thing they cover are recalls. Got the car for a steal and just turned 40k. With the exception of a couple of stains in the seats, it looks and runs like it is brand new. Good enough for my grandson to take to college next month.
What kind of stains?
Prom night stains or just regular drink stains?!
#sketchy

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
3M or GM seat fabric cleaner should take care of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of the stains are normal dirt stains and will clean up nice with furniture fabric cleaner. One of the stains look like a liquid air freshner was laid on its side a leaked a little on the passenger seat. Worse comes to worse, he can put seat covers over the seats.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
They are a great car for students. I gave my rebuilt to my daughters 2 years ago at 23457 Kms, it now has 83680 Kms. I replaced a bearing and evap canister pressure sensor. That's it the rest were unnecessary mods, but did them just the same for the girls. Dual subs in the back, cruise, armrest, trunk wing, 2 dual USB chargers front and back seat,LEDs galore so on and so on. Oh! also replaced DRL loop that burnt.
armrest is a necessary mod

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.