Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been almost two years since I flushed my transmission and did my brakes. I'm probably going to drive an hr and half away to get my pads changed for free, since I have a lifetime pad warranty. Recently I changed my coolant fluid, I was going to change my fuel filter but they wouldn't do it. They said that they can get really stuck on due to dirt and other stuff built up, that they might pinch the line and have to replace the whole line! I couldn't change it after spending hrs pulling on it.

Anyways, I had my trans flushed two yrs ago with full synthetic but they said I should change it every 30xxx miles from now on. My gears now shift pretty good, but feel like they'res a slight resistent. I asked other shops and some say that GM trans are all full synthetic. Again anyways whats your guys thoughts on the fluid and what place to get it changed at?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Every 2 years is fine especially with full synthetic every 30,000 is just stupid they are saying that to rob you. If you have always done it 2 years intervals continue to do so. The resistance could be cause if wrong oil used they may have used a heavier fluid since all fluid is not the same

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
An average driver drives their car 12k miles a year. By your suggestion he would be changing it at 24k. I periodically check the fluid color and viscosity on my autos. Roughly around 50k unless something is suspect I will change.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If your cobalt doesnt have a trans dip stick, you can get to the drain bolt to the transmission and get a few droplets to take a look. I believe ours is Dexron IV or V, should be either red, but slightly brown is ok.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Not always that easy, my fuel filter took me 45mins to change. That was on a hoist with 2 different fuel line disconnect tools. The dirt is what held mine in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.