Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I have a little dilemma. I just bought a 2008 Cobalt LT with a 5-speed manual. I need shifter cables pretty bad. My shifter doesn't return to the center, and it's more difficult than it should be to move the shifter left and right. It has made for some embarassing moments when I try to shift to 3rd and accidentally go into first instead 馃槄. Unfortunately, the part has been discontinued by GM and I can't find the part anywhere. If anyone has any info on where to get shifter cables, pleas let me know.

Registered
It may be your shifter assembly itself has some wear. If is the cables, as it looks they are not available unless you can find some NOS parts being sold on eBay or some used ones.

I believe you can buy some bushings for the cable ends, but that鈥檚 about it. The only cables I know are being made are for the SS manual. And I don鈥檛 believe they are the same as the 5 speed on the 2.2 and 2.4 models. GM is notorious for discontinuing crucial parts that can disable a vehicle. I鈥檓 sure they know what they鈥檙e doing too. Hopefully the aftermarket companies will come up with a replacement. I鈥檓 not sure if it鈥檚 got to do with licensing or some other reasons, but there鈥檚 so many fairly new GM vehicles that you can鈥檛 find important parts for. Electronics being some of the parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I will try the bushings and see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't I guess I will just have to get a little creative and try to find a custom solution. Maybe I can somehow rebuild the cables I have? They don't seem to be stretched or anything it's just hard to move the shifter left and right. Thank you for the response.

Does anyone know of any other shifter cables that might work with a little modification?

Registered
Are you sure it鈥檚 not the spring in the shifter assembly. That is apparently a common part to wear out and cause side to side sloppiness and not returning to center when in neutral.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't actually checked the spring, but it actually takes considerable force to move the shifter left and right. Moving it back to the center seems easier than pulling it over to go into first gear. So I would assume the spring is working. I will check that too though. I'm willing to try anything at this point. The car is great other than this problem and the stupid airbag sensor issue that seems pretty common too.

Registered
Check Crate Engine Depot. Tom there is very helpful to Cobalt owners. He have the F23 shifter cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts