Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago I got my tires changed and when I got my car back the ABS light was on. I called the place and they said its no big deal they must of just bumped a wire so I can bring it back whenever and they'd fix it. Well I just never ended up bringing it back but I'm wondering where these wires are? Can I just unplug them then plug them back in to make the ABS light go off?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Quick question. Are all four tires the same size? If not, they can cause the abs to display a code for implausible speed error reasons. Meaning one or more tires are moving faster or slower than the others. Just a though, especially when you say you got tires. I see tire shops screw up constantly on my customers vehicles. And half the time they don’t even notice until I point it out.

As far as the wire, hopefully it’s just disconnected. It’s located at the back side of the hub. The sensor, front or rear, is integrated into the hub assembly. This is a fairly expensive part. Any time something like this happens, you absolutely must take the vehicle back and get it taken care of. Something may have gotten ruined and you may now have a very expensive fix.

On a side note, it’s pretty common for the ABS unit to short out. Maybe the module, maybe the pump motor. In any event, mine decided to burn out the first time I tried to go hard on the brakes. And hasn’t worked ever since. The ABS light was not on when I bought my car. But has been on ever since I tried to test the brakes. It shows a code for ABS pump failure, that it’s shorted.

Anyways, there is no sensor you can just swap for the wheel speed sensor. When they go bad or are damaged, the hub assembly has to be changed out as a unit.

As for when changing wheels or tires, there should be no reason to even touch the wheel speed sensor. Someone would have to literally reach back there and pull on the wires. Maybe damage could occur while doing a brake job or suspension work. But very doubtful when having tires changed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts