Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so im going to start with suspension before my engine because all of the reading ive been doing on here recommends starting with suspension. I was just wondering where to start. I am getting new rims soon and i am going to lower it after that. After i lower it, what should i do? I honestly dont know where to start.. Also will i notice a big difference with my cars performance? I have a 2007 2.2 sedan.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You will want to save up and do your entire suspension all at once to save on alignment costs.

You will need FE5 struts and shocks from an SS/TC... found at crateenginedepot.com
Next you will need lowering springs.... pick your poision
Next is the sway bar, your choice of TC or SC.. SC is larger by a couple mm's... also found via CED.com
Next you will need endlinks... most go with Moog, but there are adjustables out there
Next are bushings (trans, sway bar, possible control arm) engine as well if you wanna get serious... TTR has trans (as well as many other places), Moog for sway bar, and depending on your performance goals Moog or OTTP for control arms.
Lastly is the control arms. You will need FE5 from an 05-07 SC model. If you go 08+ its from a TC and has setup with your knuckle.... hard to find for cheap, I go to pamsauto.com and call CS, they typically can find you a set for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Can you, yes. Should you, no. FE5 shocks and struts are way more durable and can handle lowering springs better. Plus, you will need two alignments if you do shocks and struts later.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
To put springs on you must remove the struts and shocks, this is why I said do it all at once.

·
Registered
583 Posts
@Blackbalts

How about just getting a full set of coil overs?
which is better and why?
how about money wise?

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

To put springs on you must remove the struts and shocks, this is why I said do it all at once.
This is very true!, i used springs only, And had to take everything out to put only the springs -__- than do the alignment and when ever i buy the rest ima need to do it all over LOL SMH...if you have the chance to buy all together is way better :bigsmile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah i didn't know that! learn something new everyday! well then yeah ill definitely just do it all at once. Thanks a lot for all the info!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Thanks, I forgot to mention that.

It really depends on what you are looking to do. With coilovers you can adjust your ride hight to specific setting for say show or racing, or snow! There is no way to say one is better than the other only because they have their different applications. Typically it comes down to do you want to spend 1,500 for coilovers or roughly 800 for the entire suspension build?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
@Blackbalts

How about just getting a full set of coil overs?
which is better and why?
how about money wise?

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

This is very true!, i used springs only, And had to take everything out to put only the springs -__- than do the alignment and when ever i buy the rest ima need to do it all over LOL SMH...if you have the chance to buy all together is way better :bigsmile:
When I knew I was going to keep this car for a while I went to tires plus and bought a 3 year alignment package. I think I have had that thing aligned about a dozen times in the last year. I think they adjusted twice after I did the suspension :bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

@Blackbalts I know the coil overs are expensive </3 jajaja.....Question, if you buy the kit of coil overs you still will need the sway bars and some more components am I right?
All the other components are not a necessity but a performance adder for your suspension. Depending on your cars year and wear you might be forced to replace the endlinks but that would be from corrosion and rust not because you NEED to do it for the coilovers to work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
When I knew I was going to keep this car for a while I went to tires plus and bought a 3 year alignment package. I think I have had that thing aligned about a dozen times in the last year. I think they adjusted twice after I did the suspension :bigsmile:
Jajajajaja I did that with my girls car, I haven't buy that for my cobalt, I may buy it when ever i buy the rest of the suspension...thing is the alignment i got it was at a friend of mine shop :p

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Very good to know....well next year when taxes get here i will be looking deep into coil overs and supercharger kit :nutts:

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Once I get my camber kit I probably will eat the extra cost of the 3 year and go to a guy that I race with since he knows the necessity of being percise and to what camber I will need for best results. tires plus is a little slower in the head!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Sounds cheap! I'm not very familiar with coilover brands to be honest.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.