Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow car enthusiasts.
I have a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT, And the Battery has gone south over the winter. Froze, but it was the original battery and it got 10 years out of it. What I want to know, what replacement battery you went with and why. I live in Ontario in the Muskoka region.

Another penny for a thought, has anyone used a sealed battery instead of the vented 90 group ? My hose was cracked the whole time for the battery vent tube and nothing happened so I am curious as to what your thoughts are?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I bought a replacement from AutoZone. It's just a battery and they have good reviews. It worked great for me, very strong. I went vented because the fumes can be harmful to you and passengers

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
normally i would just go OEM but it seems anymore all of the aftermarket ones are at least guaranteed for a few years depending on where you go

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Buy any battery except and interstate and a motomaster eliminator. Honestly I would just buy a battery at Walmart or from the dealer. It's the kind of thing you don't want to let you down and realistically will you have the car in 10 more years? Probably not, but if you buy an oem battery you'll be good the whole rest of the time you own the car.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just buy whatever is at walmart. it comes with a warrenty and if it lasts 4-5 years Im happy lol

Sadly walmart does not sell a battery group for the cobalt, I checked a few in my area.

Thanks everyone for the input, going vented for sure. Best price i have got an a ac delco is $130. Wish there was more options, like higher cranking amps an such. Its got a pioneer sound system in it with sub woofer. I'd like to have something with a good reserve for events such as drive in's etc.

:thanks:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a replacement from AutoZone. It's just a battery and they have good reviews. It worked great for me, very strong. I went vented because the fumes can be harmful to you and passengers
i bought the duralast gold from autozone its a great battery, never had one issue yet.

---------- Post added at 06:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Sadly walmart does not sell a battery group for the cobalt, I checked a few in my area.

Thanks everyone for the input, going vented for sure. Best price i have got an a ac delco is $130. Wish there was more options, like higher cranking amps an such. Its got a pioneer sound system in it with sub woofer. I'd like to have something with a good reserve for events such as drive in's etc.

:thanks:)
if you want higher CCA then id go with the duralast gold, its a step above the OEM battery. OEM has 600 the gold has 650 plus 810 cranking amps, and 90 minutes of reserve usage. its $140

---------- Post added at 07:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

they also offer a 5 year warranty, 3 year free replacement, 2 years prorated.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
AC Delco.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had great results with my Optima Red Top. They are a bit more expensive, but they last longer, and the AGM design means it won't be susceptible to vibration damage.

AGM batteries are better suited to harsh climates as well

Nick C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had great results with my Optima Red Top. They are a bit more expensive, but they last longer, and the AGM design means it won't be susceptible to vibration damage.

AGM batteries are better suited to harsh climates as well

Nick C.
Wish I had the scratch for an optima, just not in the cards for the Cobalt at this time. They do make a mean battery, Did you have to adjust the strap to fit the Optima red top ? Or did it just fit, as it is.

And thanks again everyone for the input, nice to see a community that will help out. !!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you go to Wal-Mart or Sam's, they are usually around $150 here in the states.

I'm not sure if they are more expensive in Canada, but they pay for themselves considering the life span.

A normal battery will work regardless

Nick C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you go to Wal-Mart or Sam's, they are usually around $150 here in the states.

I'm not sure if they are more expensive in Canada, but they pay for themselves considering the life span.

A normal battery will work regardless

Nick C.
Just going to bite the bullet an get an Ac Delco Advantage series, Going rate for them is $130.00. If I get more sound equipment or upgrade etc, I will definitely look into the AGM battery. I find it odd, that an American Walmart's would sell a t5 battery. And not in Canada. You can't turn a corner without seeing a pursuit or cobalt drive down the road. An yet they do not sell a single battery for one. So we also have Canadian Tire here, an they use Exide Canada for manufacturing of the batteries, as far I can tell. Horrible reviews for alot of customers finding there battery dieing within the first 2 years. :eek:h:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.