Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend has a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 v6 engine, it has an aem cold air intake, cat back dual exhaust, "tuned" ecu chip, and thats pretty much it engine wise, also a 2.5 suspension drop. My car is an 07 cobalt 2.2, so far its stock. Do you think that with a short throw shifter, new intake (SRI or CAI), 2.4 swap, crank pulley, alternator pulley, zenn lowering springs, sway and strut bars, that I would be able to beat him in a 1/4 mile drag race. He pretty much brags how fast his car is and that when I got my cobalt it wasn't gonna be faster than his since i didn't get an ss. Please help me out here guys.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
idk man, you're going to need a tune with that 2.4 intake so possibly?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
idk, i think you do cuz it would it would mess up the air/fuel ratio and put it in limp mode. but that altima is pushin like 240 horses

·
Registered
610 Posts
naw, i'm pretty sure he'll still win. i wouldnt be bragging about an altima, but 6 cylinders > 4.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
um...well im sure he weighs more so with all the basic bolt on's i'd call it a good race.

·
Registered
610 Posts
hmm well this saddens me a bit :-( i just wanna beat his car with him, his car is auto also and a sedan, mine is a coupe manual
well that changes everything. i upgrade you to a good challenge haha.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here's what I see...his car has the VQ35 which even though that was the first Altima with it (240hp), it was a pretty quick engine. The Altima isn't that big...it weighs in at ~3250lbs. So he's got an auto with about 4-500lbs more than your manual coupe.

He's got the basic bolt-ons with a tune. That would net him maybe 260hp crank. Drivetrain loss probably means he's around 200whp. That's saying a little more than 20% loss.

You've got a stock car....yours is 145hp at the crank and maybe 125-130 at the wheels. You've got no chance stock. You'd have to add intake, intake mani, full exhaust, tune just to have a chance. You may need more on top of that though.

And, as far as the intake mani goes...there's no point in adding it if you aren't doing intake and exhaust. A tune isn't required for just the mani, but if you go to the 2.4 throttle body, then you need the tune. A tune is a good idea with the manifold no matter what though.

My wife has an 07 Aura XR....3.6L 252hp stock with 6-speed auto and paddle shifters. That thing will do 14.5 in the 1/4 stock. I'd have to add a lot to my car to make it come close (but I have an auto as well).

·
Registered
720 Posts
Trifecta Tune
This is the company that you can get a tune from. Vince is great. I've spoken to him via email a few times and he really knows his tunes.

You can purchase the tune through Clear Image Automotive I believe. The cost of the tune is $250 plus shipping. You also pay a refundable deposit of $200 for the tuning equipment (they ship you a handheld scanner type tool).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Trifecta Tune
This is the company that you can get a tune from. Vince is great. I've spoken to him via email a few times and he really knows his tunes.

You can purchase the tune through Clear Image Automotive I believe. The cost of the tune is $250 plus shipping. You also pay a refundable deposit of $200 for the tuning equipment (they ship you a handheld scanner type tool).
vince lives near me and have worked with him on many occassions (was the beta test car for him on ecotecs) and he is AWESOME!!! will not do you wrong and will give you EVERY penny's worth on a tune!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
So my friend has a 2002 nissan altima 3.5 v6 engine, it has an aem cold air intake, cat back dual exhaust, "tuned" ecu chip, and thats pretty much it engine wise, also a 2.5 suspension drop. My car is an 07 cobalt 2.2, so far its stock. Do you think that with a short throw shifter, new intake (SRI or CAI), 2.4 swap, crank pulley, alternator pulley, zenn lowering springs, sway and strut bars, that I would be able to beat him in a 1/4 mile drag race. He pretty much brags how fast his car is and that when I got my cobalt it wasn't gonna be faster than his since i didn't get an ss. Please help me out here guys.
first off the sway and strut bars have nothing to do with 1/4 times...and yes, because his weighs more :)

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you cobalt tom lol, i hope to beat him after all my mods are done, i know the suspension stuff doesn't help i just listed it anyway, also headers will probably be on my list, and as for this tune, they mail me the stuff to tune my car and i just mail it back then?

·
Registered
344 Posts
thank you cobalt tom lol, i hope to beat him after all my mods are done, i know the suspension stuff doesn't help i just listed it anyway, also headers will probably be on my list, and as for this tune, they mail me the stuff to tune my car and i just mail it back then?
you got it :) and he works with you via email while you have the stuff to fine tune the tune

and just a nit pick...its a header, not headers lol

and yes, i would do intake, intake mani, header, dp, exhaust and tune, then pullies

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you cobalt tom, that is very helpful, so once I have all my stuff (2.4 manifold, header(s), intake, pullies, etc) I should contact him to get my specific tune correct? Also would finding a 2.4 throttle body be better than boring out my stock 2.2 throttle body?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.