• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've owned 2 cobalts now, one with a sealant & inflator, and then one with a spare tire.
my question is, what do yall think is better?

·
Registered
86 Posts
what i got is 4 oem wheels and tires on and and 1 more extra oem wheel and tire in my balcony. i keep the spare in the trunk so if one of my tires goes out or my wheel gets bent (again -_-), i got an extra one and i can get the other fixed.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
spare/another tire because if the tires blows out you're f*cked w/sealant

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I voted spare tire hands down without a doubt. that sealant/goop stuff is a total joke. like others have said, if you have a blow out with anything larger than the size of a nail. you are screwed and forced to call a tow truck. the only reason they are doing this sealant stuff is to save themselves money and cut down on the weight of the vehicle. mostly to save the company money though. This is just a phase that prolly won't last long. people will get fed up with that crap and demand having a spare tire again.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

oh and I forgot to mention. A lot of the time when you install the tire goop stuff. it automatically makes the tire junk and unrepairable. even if it would have been able to be repaired before. and it also voids warranty on some tires that have that option. so now you are looking at having to purchase a new tire when it could have been repaired. and then on top of that, it is best not to only buy one tire, you should buy at least 2 tires at a time (one set per axle) so yeah it's a joke haha

·
Registered
381 Posts
Spare, though it will be a pain if I get a front flat since I have to move the back wheel forward and THEN mount the donut.

Woooo Brembo and limited-slip diff.

·
Registered
931 Posts
spare tire, some places wont patch a tire thats been temp fixed with fix a flat or whatever, becouse they clame the patch doesnt stick right ( B.S IF U ASK ME)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Spare, though it will be a pain if I get a front flat since I have to move the back wheel forward and THEN mount the donut.

Woooo Brembo and limited-slip diff.
You always want the spare on the rear wheels even if the spare would fit over the SS calipers. Having one on the front screws with steering.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
You always want the spare on the rear wheels even if the spare would fit over the SS calipers. Having one on the front screws with steering.
^^this^^ it can be dangerous to run a spare on front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I voted spare. I worked at tire shop for a few years and saw the damage the sealer crap did to wheels and tires. That stuff will eat chrome of the wheel and makes it hard to patch the tire correctly. It can be patched it just takes more time and a lot more cleaning.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Spare tire for sure. Brian was right that using the foam can void some warranties on some aftermarket tires. It's no big deal if you are running the Goodyear Integrity tires that came on your Balt, as GM worked that with Goodyear before doing the foam in the car, but if you change tires you could void those warranties.

When GM built the XFEs they were looking to get every mpg they could out of non-hybrid vehicles. It worked well, and has led to the development of other XFEs such as the Silverado XFE. The spare tire was eliminated to save the weight, as it's heavier than a can of foam. My point is that not all things done for mpg are worth keeping that way.

I carry a spare tire and a can of foam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.