Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whichever LS series can fit inside without a persuasion hammer would be lovely. Id like to do this to get at least 350hp, unless the stock as engine can handle that much with an upgraded turbo. In that case that still works with me. However if there is a chance that the majority Of the stock turbo components can work with the LS engine that’s also cool ( like maybe new headers and exhaust manifold would be fine) but not that I’d want to purchase an entire turbo kit.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you have a stock turbo car you can easily get up to 350hp with bolt ons and a tune. If you want to drop an ls engine in there it is going to take a lot of custom fabrication to make it fit and work. Plenty of people with over 350hp on a turbo cobalt ss though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolt on like a bigger turbo?
Also I've been reading a bit and my new favorite engine is a 4.8l vortec. Can that fit?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Honestly you probably wouldn't even need a bigger turbo to hit 350hp, you should be right around there with a down pipe and intercooler and charge pipes and a tune. If you have ethanol in your area then you can get it tuned for e47 or e85 as well. If you are asking if there is physically enough space for the 4.8 to fit in the engine bay then the answer is yes, but its not even close to a bolt in swap and everything will have to be custom fabricated to even put if in the car let alone all the wiring to get it to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly you probably wouldn't even need a bigger turbo to hit 350hp, you should be right around there with a down pipe and intercooler and charge pipes and a tune. If you have ethanol in your area then you can get it tuned for e47 or e85 as well. If you are asking if there is physically enough space for the 4.8 to fit in the engine bay then the answer is yes, but its not even close to a bolt in swap and everything will have to be custom fabricated to even put if in the car let alone all the wiring to get it to work.
Thanks. I think they do sell ls swap kits for a thousand or 2 and that should do it. As for the exhaust, is it worth doing straight pipe cat-less?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There is no bolt in swap kit to put an ls engine in these cars, all the mounting is going to be custom along with whatever you plan to do for the rear end and you would have to make a transmission tunnel for it as well. I'm not saying not to do it but unless you can do all of the fabrication yourself it's going to be a lot more than 2k. As far as the exhaust, if you dont have to worry about emissions and you want to go catless then go for it, wont make a huge difference either way over the high flow cats on the aftermarket downpipes

·
Say What again!
6,105 Posts
It's worth looking into...I've been considering cramming an LS4 in mine for a while now...but it's going to take some clearancing...

Also, I see some replies/likes from people who have not been on in a while...

·
Say What again!
6,105 Posts
Gee, I wonder...lets get that daily thread going again!

·
Say What again!
6,105 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts