Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it's been awhile lol...
So I finally stopped dragging my feet and bought that 08 SS/NA a couple months ago with the intention of turning it into a summer car with the occasional autocross run n there. This summer is off the table, between the Rona and rebuilding my orange titled Jeep, I just haven't had the extra time or money to put into the Cobalt except for gas (since it is currently my daily). Luckily, the Jeep should be nearing completion (with the exception of a couple aftermarket items) hopefully by the end of September so while the cobalt is in storage I'll be able to switch expenses to that in the meantime.
I've made almost all of my decisions for mods but there's one thing I can't decide on: tires.
I've cut my choices down to either Toyo Proxes R888R or Pirelli P Zero Trefeo R. I do live Michigan but this car will only be driven in the summer so my only weather concern would be rain. Tire Rack lists the Pirellis as "streetable" competition tires whereas the Toyos are listed as "track only" but the reviews I've been watching say that the Toyos work great on the street and the Pirellis suck in the rain. Has anybody ran either of these tires on the streets? And if so, what's your opinion of them?

(TL;DR) Which is better for a street car: Toyo Proxes R888R or Pirelli P Zero Trefeo R?

thanks for any input!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I’d go with anything else than Pirelli. I had the old P Zero Neros and they were grippy at first. But they wore quite quickly. Was on my BMW 740i. I had some chunking problems with them, something that I would have expected with a cheaper tire. Anyways, went with a Goodyear Eagle F1. Still have the tires and wheels, the tires are pretty old by now and probably aren’t good for use since they’ve sat in storage for so long.

I dunno, I read reviews on various sites before I would buy an expensive tire. Just to see what other people have experienced. Although for my Cobalt LT I just bought something I though was good without researching which was a BF Goodrich. Turns out it’s a little on the stiff side but has a really long wear rating. So a good trade off for me since I don’t need a lot of grip. I’ve always had really good luck with BF Goodrich tires over the years, so like over the past 18 years now I’ve had the brand on various cars. Only thing is they don’t have certain sizes from what I remember. Wanted some G force Comps and couldn’t find the size I wanted. May have been an availability thing, but this was over 9 years ago now.

As far as the Toyos, I see nothing but good things with almost every tire of theirs I encounter. From performance to truck tires. They must be pretty good, although I’ve never owned any.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I run BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2, summer/performance tires. They are Greta for the price. The grip decently and definitely out perform their price. Tire wear is quite fast though. I'm on my 4th set in like 6 or 7 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts