Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I drove about 50 miles and then pulled in front of a friends house. I left the car running. Their driveway was on a little bit of a slant, anyway we talked about 15 minutes and off I went. When I pulled out in reverse a huge cloud of white smoke came out of the exhaust. I pulled over and it was gone. I drove around quite a bit that day and it never came back. Anyone know what this could have been? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
how new is the car / exhaust ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, The car is a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS (not supercharged). Car ran great yesterday and so far today. Don't know why that happened. I mean I know all the worst case senarios (oil in antifreeze etc.) I was just thinking it might have been some carbon build up or something. I was just curious as maybe someone had experienced the same thing. Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
if it was on a downward slant it sounds like it could have just been a build up of condensation and when you put it in reverse the added pressure just blew it all out

·
Banned
161 Posts
if it was on a downward slant it sounds like it could have just been a build up of condensation and when you put it in reverse the added pressure just blew it all out
this is possible..

what mods are done to the car just for shits sake

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
this is possible..

what mods are done to the car just for shits sake
please, watch your language

he stated the car is a new vehicle, and by the pic, and lack of sig, i would bet nothing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
mods shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you don't know what you're doing:p

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
mods shouldn't have anything to do with it unless you don't know what you're doing:p
ummmm, my aftermarket air filter just threw off my Mass Air Induction Leveler, and is severely hampering my Directional Flow Sensor!

minor simple bolt on mods wouldnt harm a vehicles performance, and should not be the cause of any problems

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Mods on car just a GM certified performance muffler. Car runs just as good now as it did before this happened. Hasn't happened since. I have been cheking the coolant temparture while I drive around and it seems ok.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
GM Performance Exhaust is known to do this at first when it is brand new . It just needs to be broken in a lil ... take it on the highway for a nice long road trip and maybe get on it from time to time and break her in. I would do a few pulls and wht not

·
Registered
142 Posts
Alot of short trip driving will cause the exhaust system to build up excessive condensation as stated earlier. This leads to 99% of yearly exhaust replacements on OEM exhausts. The starting and stopping and short distance driving builds up alot of water in the exhaust and thus rusts from the inside out. Take it out on the highway and blow it out.. take a good 1/2 hour drive. Also excessive idling will do the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you by chance had your oil changed at a drive through oil change shop where they use bulk oil, recently??

If so, get it changed again but don't use bulk oil. I had a similar problem. Bottled oil from dealer fixed issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.