Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know if this is bad or what it only happends when i first start my car for the day but by father was saying somthing about it being oil burned and the car has done it since i first got it so i thought it was normal

can you help me out?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i need to know if this is bad or what it only happends when i first start my car for the day but by father was saying somthing about it being oil burned and the car has done it since i first got it so i thought it was normal

can you help me out?
White smoke - steam actually - could be from condensation - water - that collects in your car's exhaust pipe overnight. Should take a few seconds after starting it up before it is real noticable -- exhaust pipe heating up. Does your car get coated with condensation? If so, most likely it is just condensation in the exhaust.

If it is white smoke as soon as you fire it up, and it is oil, you should smell it -- can't miss the smell of burnt oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ight thanks my dad keeps yellin about it being oil and i should watch my oil but i check it every other day any ways and it still looks good i run full syn mobile1 and i bought the car with 76 miles on it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stick your hand by the exhaust pipe and feel if there is moisture. Oil burning can be black or blue and smell bad and it wont leave moisture. If you feel thick moisture and see thick white, its coolant.
The two are distinguishable. I would keep an eye your coolant level.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I start mine and only let it run for a minute or so (eg to move it to the other side of the driveway) and let it sit for a few hours, it will give a puff of whiteish-blue smoke on the next start up. Done it since new, and doesn't lose any oil between changes. Normal, I'd say.

Maybe yours gets jockeyed around?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.