Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why am I only getting, 20 mpg in the city, and and 30 mpg on the highway @ 60mph. 5 speed manual, 2.2L stock. The car kinda sounds like a diesel when idling, but not check engine light! In fifth gear for highway with cruise set.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
try getting a tune up. I'm not sure how many miles are on your car but try checking all the fluids, spark plugs, throw in some fuel system cleaner, stuff like that. Although those results aren't all that bad and a lot of it can be from your driving habits. If I try I can get 40 mpg whether city or highway as long as I care soley about fuel economy. If I don't care and drive non-chalantly I can get as low as 20 probably but I usually don't.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try getting a tune up. I'm not sure how many miles are on your car but try checking all the fluids, spark plugs, throw in some fuel system cleaner, stuff like that. Although those results aren't all that bad and a lot of it can be from your driving habits. If I try I can get 40 mpg whether city or highway as long as I care soley about fuel economy. If I don't care and drive non-chalantly I can get as low as 20 probably but I usually don't.
I have 117,000 kilometers.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I agree with Camo. You need to get a good tune up done and then see where you are at. You must have a mechanically solid car to get good mpg. It sounds to me like you have a bad spark plug.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i reccommend using iridium e3 spark plugs. and if you haven't switch to Catrol Syntec full synthetic oil. and a K&N air filter. not a CAI just replace your stock air filter with a K&N brand. i did all that and i went from getting 24 in the city to getting 27 in the city even with mashing the gas and everything

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just refilled up and got.

90% highway at 100km / hour
10% city at 50km / hour

7.3 Liters per 100km

or around 32 mpg.

Is that normal?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pavement will affect fuel economy by increasing or decreasing rolling resistance. My friend found that out when he started a multi-state odyssey to reveal how his modifications increased fuel economy. His itinerary involved driving across another state, his fuel economy plummeted in that state and every other state until he got to the diesel get-together. Oh, well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If he had a bad spark plug his car would be misfiring and a code would be set. How are you driving? That's the biggest issue. A general tune up couldn't hurt. Delco plugs work great. For a stock car you don't need any kind of special plug like most people think.

·
Registered
561 Posts
These cars are great on gas unless you push the pedal, then they're gas hogs....Feather the pedal and get a tune up, I bet you will see an increase of at least 5-9 MPG. If I drive it like I stole it, I will only get 20 MPG on the freeway, but if I feather the pedal and baby it, I can get 39 on the same stretch of freeway. My averages are over a weeks time, not day to day.

P

·
0 Posts
i only have 8600 miles on stock plugs should i change them anyway for better mpg?

·
Registered
273 Posts
i only have 8600 miles on stock plugs should i change them anyway for better mpg?
those babies are brand new still lol over all it would be pointless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why am I only getting, 20 mpg in the city, and and 30 mpg on the highway @ 60mph. 5 speed manual, 2.2L stock. The car kinda sounds like a diesel when idling, but not check engine light! In fifth gear for highway with cruise set.
sounds like a diesel? You got misfire, that would explain crappy MPG also. Don't rely on a check engine light, gotta use your ear bro, there is no reason a gas engine should sound like a duramax unless something is F***ed up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.