Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that Civics and Corollas with 150k - 200k miles on them have similar, or greater, asking prices compared to same year Cobalts with less than half the miles.

Is it the perception that the Japanese cars will run forever?

Don't get me wrong, the Japanese cars are good, but for the money the Cobalts may just be the "better buy"

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Resale value.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
When you buy a Honda or Toyota, you're buying into the reputation of the company. They came to our shores in a time when domestics were arguably at their worst, and people never seem to forget that. In this day and age, a Civic or a Corolla is no more reliable or fuel efficient as any other car, but people still hold it in higher regard because of their past history, and that's why they hold their value so well.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

That being said, I wouldn't touch a Corolla with a ten foot pole and it would take a lot of convincing for me to own a Honda. I don't think they're bad cars, they just don't do it for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Resale value.
Right on. But is the high resale value of the Japanese cars due to "perceived" value or "real" value? In other words, is the Cobalt really that much worse a car than a Corolla or Civic?

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Here is a perfect example

$4200 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt in good condition. One owner. 41400 actual miles:

Chevrolet Cobalt

Try finding a 2008 Corolla or Civic with under 150k miles for that price and in that condition.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Chevy has traditionally been crap at making small cars. Honda and Toyota practically invented the class, so naturally they're perceived to be better at it.

Flash forward to the 21st century, American cars have caught up, and in some extent surpassed what the Japanese are pumping out of their factories. If you compare a Cobalt with a Civic, the tech is lacking, but it makes up for it in performance and lower cost of ownership. The Corolla is a Civic with every ounce of fun removed.

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Drove the last gen XRS, it was a bore, both to look at and to drive. My base G5 was more entertaining and possibly even faster.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Stupidity? Or just being stuck in a mentality that stopped being valid ten years ago. That's what I assume.

"But my Honda is nice!". Have you been inside your Honda? It's a disaster. Quality is awful, design is boring and outdated, and powertrain is lackluster.

But they still think it's 1985, and buy accordingly. Luckily that is changing, albeit, slowly.

·
Registered
266 Posts
ill just leave this here lol

this was a head on at 40mph, a yota corolla S and a new taurus, the yota was totalled and the taurus actually got fixed and is back on the road.

i will never buy a yota or honda, i wont take one even if it was free.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I never buy a car because of resale value. I buy a car that I want which is always an American name plate, always GM with the exception of a Wranger or Cherokee XJ, because I like to support the American workers.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Tbh a lot of foreign automakers build in north America. A lot more than I thought.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
They might build here, but ultimately they money doesn't end up here.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I know it all goes to the drug cartel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
"build where you sell" is what is used in the auto industry. It's cheaper to manufacture in the region in which you sell. Chevrolet builds in Germany for the German market. Buick builds in China for the China market, etc etc. You get it. Toyota may be built here but the profits go back to Japan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.