Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a new 08 LT this weekend. The handling is fine. However, the stock tires on the 15" steel wheels just look too small. And I'm not not sure about the grip of the stock Contis.

So I was thinking of going with 205/60/15 tires (stock is 195/60/15). Do you think I will feel an improvment? or should I just get some 16" wheels and tires (206/55/16), like the 2LT models?

M

·
0 Posts
yes, the stock contis SUCK

i would go with a bigger wheel and tires to match

·
Registered
79 Posts
stock contis aren't very great so you would prob notice a difference but i dont know how much i run 225/45/17 and theres a big diff

·
Registered
79 Posts
no you should be fine

·
Registered
79 Posts
the first number is the witdh the second is the height of the sidewall

therefore 215 would be wider than 205

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Does anyone here actually run 205 or 215 on their stock 15" steel wheels? Post pics please and offer a review.

Also, could someone tell me what is the max limit in width on the stock 15" steel wheel?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Beyond 215 on the stock 15" wheel you start to get tire issues

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah Ive the 15's on my 08 LS that I got Saturday, and while they arent the first things to go they are on the list.

GMPP Cold air Intake
GMPP Performance Catback
LE5 Intake Manifold
Rear windows tinted
Replace stock LS urethane steering wheel with Leather wheel for SS.
(upgrade to factory)Cruise Control
(upgrade to factory)Steering Wheel Audio Controls
Wheels and Tires
LNF Brembo front brakes

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you are a GM tech with a LS, maybe you can answer this. We both have stock 15s with 195/60/15. We could go larger like 16" like the 2LT models or 17, or 18.

I'll use OEM 16" with 205/55/16 as an example.

I understand the +1 or +2 concept in wheel/tire size. But 205/55/16 is 1" taller compare to the 195/60/15. I understand the speedo and odo will be off. I get that.

My question is, did GM actually made the "calcuations" on the two trim levels different? For my LT with 1LT package (15" wheels) is different from another LT with 2LT package (16" wheels)?

The larger OEM wheel package is just taller than the stock 15" overall. It's not just +1 or +2.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes you'll need to go to the dealer to have your car recalibrated(figure an hour labor charge, no parts) To work with the new size tire. The dealer will and can programm your car to the 205/55-16 tire size, and they may program it to the 17" Sport tire size(they dont have to, GM says not to, just a technical thing)

If you done have the recal done, your speedo/odo will be off and your ABS(if equipped) wont be functioning at its peak, because itll will "guessing" wrong when it first activates, and could potentially increase your stopping distance. <<<<A BIG SAFETY ISSUE

They cant program to any other sizes.

What I would recommend if youre okay with the 15" size is switching to a 205/60-15. It will make a noticeable difference and there are just as many higher performance tires available in this size as the stock size, also the difference in overall diameter isnt worth worrying about.

Look at Kuhmo Ecsta ASX for a nice cheap tire(under $50 each), Goodyear GT-HR or BFG Traction T/A in the middle ground($60-70) and Michelin Pilot Exalto, Yokohama AVS ES100, and Bridgestone Potenaza RE92's in the high end(80-100)

·
Registered
79 Posts
07BlueGranite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone13
the first number is the witdh the second is the height of the sidewall

therefore 215 would be wider than 205
i said would it be that much wider... as in is it even worth it
oh my bad the other guy said 205/60 and then you said 50 so i thought well you know lol

but yea any tires are better than the shitty contis but personally i wouldn't spend money on 205 its really not much wider...i went a lot wider...225/45

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.