Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordere a catback and an considering headers. I'm more so wanting the efficiency and mpg gain more than power. Any answers? From people with actual experience? I have a 2010 2lt if that helps. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
In theory mpg should increase. But if you enjoy the new sound when you step on it too much then mpg will go down. Kind of a double edge sword. If you don't change your driving habits at all you should theoretically get better fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
False. The easier the air can come in and exhaust out, the less the motor has to work. Now the cost will take a LONG time to even it out, but it does work. This is why turbo cars get such good gas mileage when not in boost. The engine is not working hard to put air into it, and in turn, getting better mileage because of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
yea what speedy said, still going through that stage and had mine installed for a couple months already, havent even done header yet!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah my driving habits haven't really changed since I got the catback , and I know that these mods won't pay themselves off, but I just like the peace of mind that comes knowing my car is more "efficient" an not working as hard to obtain normal driving conditions

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
i love the sound, vroom baby

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
It works like a catback on any car, it makes noise! It's worth it to me

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
False. The easier the air can come in and exhaust out, the less the motor has to work. Now the cost will take a LONG time to even it out, but it does work. This is why turbo cars get such good gas mileage when not in boost. The engine is not working hard to put air into it, and in turn, getting better mileage because of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I concur. Your engine is a vacuum pump. By adding a header, you may want to run DEI wrap along the tubes, when it sustains heat, airflow will travel out much faster cooler than hot. I have not noticed an increase on mine, but to each their own :)

Adding a catback exhaust will not really increase much mpg, creates a bit noise, and may increase a few hp, in order for that cat back to be efficient in air flow, you will need to add a header and downpipe. I strongly urge you not to go anything above 2.5" on downpipe, get one with a cat converter (your car is Emissions Controlled, not a race car, until you fully build the internals and no longer need to register the car for emissions purposes), header go with either vibrant, zzp, or bad mab industries, do not go with any ebay style company.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
when i put on zzp tubular header with full 3inch exhaust i say about a 3 mpg increase
Your referring to the S/C setup correct? I was about to say, way too big for a n/a cobalt :) Your MPG vary upon certain conditions: Driving Habits, A/C on/off, city vs highway speeds, barometric pressure, ambient air temp, humidity (basically climate area), shift points.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Your referring to the S/C setup correct? I was about to say, way too big for a n/a cobalt :) Your MPG vary upon certain conditions: Driving Habits, A/C on/off, city vs highway speeds, barometric pressure, ambient air temp, humidity (basically climate area), shift points.
If it springs a code (P0171 is a personal favorite of mine) it's gunna cost you some mpg's, and performance. It's lose-lose.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If it springs a code (P0171 is a personal favorite of mine) it's gunna cost you some mpg's, and performance. It's lose-lose.
I maybe mistaken, but that sounds like your front o2 sensor (air/fuel sensor) reading below threshold?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I maybe mistaken, but that sounds like your front o2 sensor (air/fuel sensor) reading below threshold?
Circle gets the Square, right on the button, O2 bank 1 lean mixture. Happened a month or so after I installed my CAI, and still plagues me to this day. Until recently I had hoped a torn up flex pipe was to blame but upon installing my header/dp and cat-back, it popped up again. Rather unamused tbh.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Try blocking half of your CAI for an experiment to see if it stops the light from coming on. If it does then undress the filter gradually until the light comes on again.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Duct tape should work for this. The AL Green solution.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Doesn't have to be pretty for the test.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.