Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 cobalt 2LT I think and my suspension is starting to wear out, I want to lower it a bit and have sportier suspension. I got quoted 2200$ for Fe5 suspension without labour costs so I thought about cool overs instead.
Will Megan Racing EZ2 coil overs (for ss) fit my car?
Does anybody have these? Are they any good?

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2010 cobalt 2LT I think and my suspension is starting to wear out, I want to lower it a bit and have sportier suspension. I got quoted 2200$ for Fe5 suspension without labour costs so I thought about cool overs instead.
Will Megan Racing EZ2 coil overs (for ss) fit my car?
Does anybody have these? Are they any good?
Or does anyone have any recommendations for coilovers that will fit, that are on the less expensive side with the same features as EZ2’s

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
If they're listed as fitting an SS then yes, they'll fit your car.

The only major inconsistencies in fit related to the control arm ball joint/steering knuckle interface of only the '08+ SS/TC cars. That's why, for base models looking to do an FE5 upgrade, you have to use '05-07 lower control arms. But aside from those two (well, four) parts, everything else is interchangeable.

·
Registered
2010 Cobalt LT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they're listed as fitting an SS then yes, they'll fit your car.

The only major inconsistencies in fit related to the control arm ball joint/steering knuckle interface of only the '08+ SS/TC cars. That's why, for base models looking to do an FE5 upgrade, you have to use '05-07 lower control arms. But aside from those two (well, four) parts, everything else is interchangeable.
I thought there was a detail like that. I had looked at other forums for a Fe5 upgrade and had seen that the control arms might be an issue.
Would it be a major issue, should I change them over?

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
Change what over?

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
Oh, you don't need to change your control arms to fit the coilovers - the struts (and thus, coilovers) bolt to the knuckle. You can replace the control arms at your leisure or not at all (though the '05-07 FE5 control arms are a nice upgrade, if for just a huge mass reduction).

·
Registered
521 Posts
How much?! The car alone is maybe with that much. That’s way more than it should cost, even with the CAD or USD exchange rate. Or is it?

Aluminum front arms, struts and springs, short sway bar links, should be around $1000, for AC Delco stuff. The most expensive thing would be the rack and pinion if you choose to change that to the FE5 unit. And that’ll be a few hundred more. I could see it being more if you’re having to attain parts from the US I suppose. Especially with shipping. But aren’t the parts available in Canada?

I want to go with the Eibach Sportline springs myself. Definitely lower than stock FE1 height. But I don’t wanna be scraping around going any lower. As far as the Megan springs, there are better ones available out there.

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
The Sportlines are decent for a hefty drop, but they are well known to sag over time - keep that in mind (at least on 3rd and 4th gen Camaros they did). The Pro-Kit is much more handling-focused and doesn't drop (from SS height) too much.

IMO, the SSC springs I have are the perfect compromise - they had nearly the handling of the Pedders springs (the top-dogs at the time, Powell YYZ springs now hold that honor), but with a good bit more drop...and they happen to ride really, really well, too.

We have a good suspension thread on here (which also states the SSC springs have a tendency to sag, but after 11 years on my car - and they were used when I bought them - I haven't seen that) that runs through a number of spring choices.

·
Registered
521 Posts
What ever happened to the Canuck Motorsports springs. Have they gone out of business? I know those have been said to give a really nice ride.

I had seen a Cobalt coupe at the junkyard with the Megan springs and it was quite low. I probably would have grabbed the set but they were missing a spring in the back. Probably fell out because of using the FE1 shocks. They’re too long and when the suspension is extended the drop springs can come right out.

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
That I don't know - I believe they're the same springs as the SSC springs I have.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think I’ve heard that they’re were the same. Maybe the same manufacturer but just branded different. Like so many auto parts.

·
Say What again!
6,326 Posts
More than likely, yeah. They're an excellent spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts