Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

2008 Cobalt XFE

Modding Purpose: MAX MPG and look good doing it
Getting good mpg is not worth making the car look like a total tard!!!

Vehicle Name
The Punisher.
Two out of every three gallons of gas at the pump come from the middle east. Most of those countries are not fans of the USA, and that's who I am punishing by denying them my gas money.

Engine Mod's
K&N stock replacement filter

Exterior
Removed pin stripes (cannot believe they still put them on) :amazed:
Removed the dealership name (no free advertisements here) :evil:
De-badged rear
Painted front Bowtie black
Windows tinted to 35%
BBQ Grill painted muffler

Wheels
Rollin the steelies wrapped in Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max rubber at 40 psi.

Interior
Ebay seat covers
Rear headrest delete
Shifter Knob
G5 140 mph white gauge cluster
G5 "CF' dash trim

So, Here she is in all her glory.

Here she is as I bought her... The only thing different is that these pics were taken by the dealer before they put the stupid pin stripes on it.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about some of that, but I won't do the weight reduction stuff. The thing is that I want the best mpg possible, but I do not want to cut up the car, or make it into a POS.

I am doing some more research into the other things you mentioned. I must admit that I am starting to catch the bug you all got goin around. I am thinking I might debadge and nightshade, afterall, mpg isn't everything.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The vortex generator is a waste of money...it's proven to do nothing...may in fact hurt MPG's.

Basic bolt-on's and a tune will get you the best results (intake, header, dp, cat-back, tune...that's my plan for now). My car is an auto and I'm averaging 27mpg all the time with just the intake. I'm shooting for 30-31 once I get the rest of my stuff. My car is driven a good majority city compared to highway as well. probably 65/35 or 70/30 city to hwy.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
The vortex generator is a waste of money...it's proven to do nothing...may in fact hurt MPG's.

Basic bolt-on's and a tune will get you the best results (intake, header, dp, cat-back, tune...that's my plan for now). My car is an auto and I'm averaging 27mpg all the time with just the intake. I'm shooting for 30-31 once I get the rest of my stuff. My car is driven a good majority city compared to highway as well. probably 65/35 or 70/30 city to hwy.
where did you find info saying its proven to not work?

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have looked at vortex generators, in fact I have tested them twice. The first was on my wife's Buick, where they returned a 0.89% increase in FE. The second was on my Metro where they returned a -0.02% decrease. I think it all depends on the car they are used in.

My test method was Bx3-Ax3-Bx3. This means three tank average before the mod, three tanks with the mod, and three more tanks after the mod.

They really were not worth the work of putting them on. I think they tested well on my wife's Buick due to the harsh angle of the back window.

I do not believe they would be effective on a balt due to the low slope of the back window. I do not think that the airstream separation from the boundary layer is enough to try to compensate for.

Now this is all based on using them to increase mpg at low to mid speed (0-80 mph on the Buick and 0-55 on the Metro). It does not take high speed into account which would change the results.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think using them on higher speed applications would change the results in a good way. I have no proof for that, but I am inclined to believe it given their long use in aircraft. The test speeds on my wife's Buick were higher both in peak and average than my Metro. I think that may have had something to do with it.

Besides, I don't think they would look good on a Balt. Smoothwheel covers and rear wheel skirts would be far more effective, but I am sure not going to do that.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Smoothwheel covers and rear wheel skirts would be far more effective, but I am sure not going to do that.
Honda Insight (1st gen) wheels or Civic Hybrid wheels perhaps? Assuming they are 4x100.

They wouldn't look too bad in my opinion. I would lower the car though if you want it to look better with anything other than factory wheels.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honda Insight (1st gen) wheels or Civic Hybrid wheels perhaps? Assuming they are 4x100.

They wouldn't look too bad in my opinion. I would lower the car though if you want it to look better with anything other than factory wheels.
I like the Honda Insight idea. I will have to check that out, as they were pretty nice wheels in my opinion.

I have been thinking about lowering it and attachinga belly pan to clean up the underside for best airflow. That will take some time for me to convince the wife.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just did some searching...the wheels on the 00-06 Insight ARE 4x100...however they are 14". Not sure if they'd clear the brakes and what not.

The newer Civic Hybrids use a 5x100 so those wouldn't work.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just did some searching...the wheels on the 00-06 Insight ARE 4x100...however they are 14". Not sure if they'd clear the brakes and what not.

The newer Civic Hybrids use a 5x100 so those wouldn't work.
Thanks for the research. Very good info. I may look at smoother wheelcovers for it. I won't go with the moon disks, but something smoother than stock.

The other thing holding me back a little bit is that the front tires were replaced with normal tires before I bought the car, and not the Goodyear Integrity Low Rolling Resistance tires that came on the car. I am going to ride these tires out and see about going back to the LRR when I replace them.

Thank you Gooty

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
11 days of rain. (yes, I counted). It looks like it will be dry tomorrow, so I can get some mods and paint work in. YAY!!!!

The paint looks bad from those stupid carwashes with brushes in them. Sometimes buying a used car really sucks.

BTW.... Last tank was 41.7 MPG... SWEEET!!

Pics to come tomorrow.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I spent 4 hours on my balt this morning. Good times. Here she was when I got out there, still early morning wet, and crappy looking from the last 11 days of rain.

The first thing I did was to put on my cheap Ebay seat covers. Yeah, I know I need to give it another round of tightening.

I went with the gray because the blue was way too bright given the outside color. That, and if I continue to mod the interior I am going with the carbon fiber look.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At this point the Cobalt badges were buggin me. Thanks guys, cause if I had not seen it so much around here I would have thought nothing of them.:blink1:

Here they are coming off nicely...

Check it out! I think I will drop the bowtie later too.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.