Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I just bought my '09 Cobalt last month and love it so far.

I had a problem yesterday. I was driving for a while, pulled in my driveway, put the car in park and went to turn the ignition key to "off" and it would not move out of the started position. In other words, there was no way to shut the car off normally. I called the dealer (just as they were closing) and they had me drive it in, park it and take the fuse out for the fuel pump, so it would stop running. They are supposed to look at it Monday, but I am wondering what I might expect as the culprit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Broken ignition cylinder, have had mine replaced twice on my 09' first dealer took 3 days to fix it and did it wrong so 2 days later it broke again, second dealer had it fixed in 4 hours and haven't had a issue with it in the last few months.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I remember right, the same problem was happening to cobalts a few years ago and I believe there was a recall of sorts for that problem. I have an 06 and have not had problems but a co-worker also has an 06 and it happened to him.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah seems to be a common problem around the forums. They have to replace the ignition cylinder as Mick said. I'm kind of surprised there isn't a recall on this as well, lol. It's happening to every model of Cobalt too, so don't feel you're alone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same thing happened to me friday, August 20 2010, would not shut off, luckily I was near the dealership, (sorry bunch of clowns) and after two hours, and dismantling the covering on the upper and lower of the steering column, finally removed the tumbler and key. installed new tumbler and two keys. Mechanic had rubbed againsst the door with his shoes, leaving gastly marks which I ended up washing off. Will never buy another GM product. Going to Hyundai......

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea same thing happened to one of my buddys, several times and not near a dealer at all.. he had to get it towed..

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Same thing happened to me friday, August 20 2010, would not shut off, luckily I was near the dealership, (sorry bunch of clowns) and after two hours, and dismantling the covering on the upper and lower of the steering column, finally removed the tumbler and key. installed new tumbler and two keys. Mechanic had rubbed againsst the door with his shoes, leaving gastly marks which I ended up washing off. Will never buy another GM product. Going to Hyundai......
Yeah, because nothing has ever been wrong with any Hyundai ever produced. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, because nothing has ever been wrong with any Hyundai ever produced. lol
This, Hyundai has stepped up there quality as of late, but I would not buy one. Have a friend with a 07' sonata fully loaded, had a issue with it, took it to the dealer, they told him they were voided his warranty since his previous work wasn't done through them(i.e. regular maintenance stuff car is bone stock) and I have heard others complain about this same thing. Also, interior exterior seems to start falling apart after a couple of years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Day before yesterday I arrived home and tried to turn off my 2009 Cobalt that is exactly one year old and only has 2500 miles on it...

Key would not come out of cylinder...car was running and I was not able to shut off...Popped clutch while in gear and shut off engine but now all dash is still hot as key is stuck in on position...Open trunk and disconnect battery cable..

Took vehicle to dealer who had to replace the entire cylinder, cut two new keys and reprogrammed the chips in the ignition...

Apparently the tumblers inside these cylinders are very small and are somewhat delicate...

Mechanic and I came to conclusion that the huge collection of other keys I had hanging off the ignition key ring that would swing as I was driving could have caused the damage to the tumblers..Too much weight hanging

Yall might think about you key rings...

Of course the service writer told me he has not seen very many Cobalts with this cylinder problem....Right!....lol

Have a good one...

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts

Ha Ha Ha Yea good luck with that. Cause Hyundai makes such far superior vehicles.

what people do not understand is that every manufacture and every make and model have issues, these are mechanical and electrical machines, things will break and go bad, it is just the way it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys,

It was the cylinder core. I do have to give my dealer credit though. I showed up with it that night at 7:30. The service manager met me there and rolled it in the garage, so it wouldn't sit out all weekend. They called Monday and it was finished. They also replaced the multi-function switch, which was starting to go because my turn signals would not always go out after turning. Everything was still under warranty. A decent experience to be sure.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Isn't there the cylinder release button under that vinyl cover on the bottom of the column?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They said not to worry about that... which I still don't understand. All I could find when I removed the cover was a bolt head and what looked like a little black box with wires stuffed in there. I never did find a button, or release lever of any kind. ?????

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Your a ****ing idiot, My freind just bought a lemon genesis and the Dealer Mechs are just as moronic as the GM techs are.

God I hate stupid people, wonder what he'll say when his Hyndai has a problem

"oh well every company has a hiccup car"

·
Registered
78 Posts
see this hasnt happen to me yet i had a similar problen off i went to go shut my car off but it would only turnn to acc. so i went and jus popd the trunk and unhookd the battery till next day and took it in and i ended up lockin my keys in the trunk but i had my spare but newy it ended up being i shift lock release button they tried makin me pay 250 and soon as i said i had a warranty they so oh ok its just a 50 dollar deduc

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
see this hasnt happen to me yet i had a similar problen off i went to go shut my car off but it would only turnn to acc. so i went and jus popd the trunk and unhookd the battery till next day and took it in and i ended up lockin my keys in the trunk but i had my spare but newy it ended up being i shift lock release button they tried makin me pay 250 and soon as i said i had a warranty they so oh ok its just a 50 dollar deduc
HOLY CRAP!!!! Dude, Are you ok? That post was freaking EPIC. I think you need to sit down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.