Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any one know if the local Chevy dealers will reprogram my ECU for better performance of MPG's? have looked into getting a programmer for my '06 LS and can't justify the cost of one just for a possible one time reprogramming. Or do Ya'll have any other idesa to get this done? Would it be better to get a pre-programmed 'chip' or something of that nature? Appreciate this forum 'cause I have learned quite a bit bit about my 'balt from reading the different forums. Noticed after dropping in a new K&N filter the car was more responsive and appereaed to have more torque. Now like the rest of us speed freaks, I would like a bit more umph!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I doubt you'd be able to find a dealer to do anything resembling what you want. HPTuners is expensive...plus you'd have to learn what you are doing to keep from damaging you engine!
There is trifecta tuning, where you pay for a tune and they send it to you in a PDA that you plug into the OBDII port and download. I've not had any experience with this but there are several threads on CSS.net.
Then there are the Jet Performance modules -- but I'm not sure they have finished redesigning the module for the 2.2 ECMs. These are for the tuning impaired, like me, that know how to plug it in and drive...LoL!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Nope!

I can pretty much assure you... THAT would be a Negative!! They are very tightly regulated as to the can do's / can't do's and given a very limited amount of resourses to make sure they stay within their parameters. The penalties for violations would greatly exceed ANY compensation you or I could suppy them to even remotely take that chance.
Looks like a "do it yourself" project...

GTO 1

·
Registered
169 Posts
gm dealers cant/wont do that. You want a custom tune, but its pricey. You would be better off getting a cat-back exhaust which would free up some horses and help your gas mileage. Chips... its a cheap route, leave those for dipping ... not cars ... ?

on my 2.0 s/c I have exhaust, intake, gm stage 2, and im gettin about 33-36 highway at about 75... mods ftw haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys... kinda thawt the GM dealership would most likely not do this, but felt I might get lucky. I'm impressed with the current power and torque I have right now, but would like to have more to play with or when I really need to get out of the way or merge.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
check out the tune trifecta has for our cars

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
A Jet chip is the easiest as it's plug and play, and you can put it on or take it off in a simple few minutes. I plan on going with this as I'm not into performance, but want just a slight improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.