Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did those of you that tinted your rear window yourself, how did you go about placing the vinyl on the dots?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The dots?
You mean the defroster?

·
Registered
210 Posts
he means the black dots on the top of the rear window. idk if sedans have it or not.

i hate those dots too........i always just worked at it for ever. i guess you could scrape them off with a razor blade before you tint.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes.. Pics please

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a friend that does window tinting for a living do it, he put the actual tint up to the black dots and then black vinyl over the dots.

The vinyl covers the dots better than tint would, I guess it doesn't bubble as easy as tint.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a friend that does window tinting for a living do it, he put the actual tint up to the black dots and then black vinyl over the dots.

The vinyl covers the dots better than tint would, I guess it doesn't bubble as easy as tint.
if he has a spoiler, and vinyl, it would be a 6" viewing area!! lol. i have no idea why after 20 years they still put those damn things on anyway.

·
Registered
287 Posts

this. its the only proper way to do it

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well I definitely wouldn't scrape them off, when I got my windows tinted the tint adhered itself around them and it looks really nice when it's consistent.

Please don't mess up your windows, it's not worth damaging them, if you don't like the dotted look do as someone else mentioned and use vinyl but in my opinion it looks great even with them.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Dot matrix. It's horrible at the top of the window. I had my window done professionally and it still didn't look good at the top. So had a guy put "dotrix" at the top and it looks great. It's basically black vinyl.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

You can't sand or scrape that stuff off. It is engraved into the glass and you will ruin your window.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What the fux black dots are you guys talking about

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can't sand or scrape that stuff off. It is engraved into the glass and you will ruin your window.
did not know that. thanks for the knowledge. i am about to redo my back window.....where the most dots are.

and i dont know how anyone doesnt know about the dots. there is like 4 inches of them on the back window of the coupes, and an inch around the rear sides......wait. isn't there some on the top of the windshield too?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah I had my tints done at a shop professionally and he told me to come back in a week and when I did he went back into the car to press it into the dot matrix...still didn't look that great, but he did warn me about it before it did it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
there isn't any on my back window as you can see in my picture i posted..
but there are some behind the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes. The coupes have about 4" of them at the top of the back window also. Like the ones behind the mirror.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
not I...
not I...

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

I had no problems tinting my back windows..
just a longer process

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your pic was of the bottom of the window by the trunk, not the top by the roof, but maybe some dont. My 05 does.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
All coupes do hes just blind haha. I had them tint up to the dot matrix then black vinyl over them. Looks perfect. and FYI from the review you cant see them so the vinyl does not limit my vision.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.