Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
You live in Bever Falls correct? Well the cops in that area are *******s and you will be stoped and ticketed within months. There are allot of people who are going to tell you that any tint in Pa is illegal, with the exception of factory and a medical permit for vision issues. But the truth is Tint is not illegal in Pa, I used to assist a window tint professional and have worked in performence and accessory shops for 13 years. The law in PA is written incorrectly, and I have personally been released from 4 tickets after going to court, and know countless others that have also been released after learning this information. From what I understand county officers in Berks County PA do not even enforce the so called tint law anymore because of how it is written. I am at work right now but I will post the "PA code" later and tell you why it is written incorrectly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anyone do their own tint? I was curious as to how hard it would be. Also for the fellow pa drivers what's the darkest tint legal in pa?
don't quote me but i think our legal limit is 70%. i did mine at 20 and have had no problems but some cops are worse about it than others...

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

You live in Bever Falls correct? Well the cops in that area are *******s and you will be stoped and ticketed within months. There are allot of people who are going to tell you that any tint in Pa is illegal, with the exception of factory and a medical permit for vision issues. But the truth is Tint is not illegal in Pa, I used to assist a window tint professional and have worked in performence and accessory shops for 13 years. The law in PA is written incorrectly, and I have personally been released from 4 tickets after going to court, and know countless others that have also after learning this information. From what i understand county officers in Berks County PA do not even enforce the so called tint law anymore becuase of how it is written. I am at work right now but I will post the "PA code" later and tell you why it is written incorrectly.
You're 100% right about beaver falls... if he lives there I wouldn't do it.. my cousin gets ticketed constantly

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Also window tinting is not as easy as it looks, side windows and rear wing windows on the Cobalt are not that hard and with time and a little patients you could probally do a good job, the rear window is a whole different story. A one piece rear window is very complicated, and the rear dot matrix is very complicated. Most tinters are using a black vinyl strip for the dot matrix and overlaping the tint for the rest of the rear window.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Also window tinting is not as easy as it looks, side windows and rear wing windows on the Cobalt are not that hard and with time and a little patients you could probally do a good job, the rear window is a whole different story. A one piece rear window is very complicated, and the rear dot matrix is very complicated. Most tinters are using a black vinyl strip for the dot matrix and overlaping the tint for the rest of the rear window.
The guy who did mine just tinted it up there as much as he could in the rear window... Came out looking like ass, even had him redo it once but he said it couldn't be done. I've seen 1 or 2 other Cobalts with the rear window tinted the same way as mine. A vinyl strip would have probably been a good idea to cover it up, cause it doesn't look too even, but what are you gonna do?

·
Registered
439 Posts
i agree. if you have an idea what to do you should be able to do the sides. the back window i doubt it will turn out very good

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
The guy who did mine just tinted it up there as much as he could in the rear window... Came out looking like ass, even had him redo it once but he said it couldn't be done. I've seen 1 or 2 other Cobalts with the rear window tinted the same way as mine. A vinyl strip would have probably been a good idea to cover it up, cause it doesn't look too even, but what are you gonna do?
If done correctly you cannot even tell the transition from the tint to vinyl strip from the outside. Generally the Dot Matrix only comes down about 3.5 to 4 inches so the strip of vinyl just blends in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have the vinyl strip too. with 20% in back and 35% on sides... i wish i would have just gone 20% all around... what is written wrong in the law i would like to know ? you know just incase i need to fight it haha

·
Registered
199 Posts
Window tinting is alot harder than it looks I helped a friend do his camaro it came out with a few creases and a couple gaps thats what made me decide to get it done professionally just got it done today 20% all around. I am also interested in that Pennsylvania code error

·
Registered
149 Posts
tinting is a touchy subject...the law says u can not alter your windows by any means. I have limo tint on my back and rear windows but nothing on front doors and I go through BF all the time with no hassle.maybe just lucky

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
i have the vinyl strip too. with 20% in back and 35% on sides... i wish i would have just gone 20% all around... what is written wrong in the law i would like to know ? you know just incase i need to fight it haha
Guess he forgot to post up the pa code last night haha
Window tinting is alot harder than it looks I helped a friend do his camaro it came out with a few creases and a couple gaps thats what made me decide to get it done professionally just got it done today 20% all around. I am also interested in that Pennsylvania code error
tinting is a touchy subject...the law says u can not alter your windows by any means. I have limo tint on my back and rear windows but nothing on front doors and I go through BF all the time with no hassle.maybe just lucky
Pa tint laws are not defined very well, and with tint there is a grey area. If you look at any Pennsylvania county, state or municipality website, they all state that window tinting is illegal. But if you read the statute
TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Now read it closely and look at the magic word underlined
the way the law is stated it is only requiring that a person be able to see the inside of the vehicle either through the windshield, side wing OR side window. If the word "and" was used instead of 'or' it would require viewing through all of the mentioned windows. but it does not. If you do not have your windshield tinted than you can see thru one of the mentioned windows. Side wings are omitted becuase they are no longer placed on vehicle during production.

Take this to court with you while in PA if you get pulled over for tint. I have given this information to many of my friends who have had their windows tinted, many of them have been pulled over and all have won their court case.

Plus tint is not an ispection law in PA, there for since it is not aginst the law and it is not an inspection rule, if a cop pulls you over for tint in PA, he has pulled you over illegaly, and if he uses a tint meter on your car he has obtained evidence illegaly and it is not permissable in court.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.