Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, today I got a wonderful ticket from a cop. The tint meter read 35% in the front. I think the legal limit is 30% (meaning 70% of the light has to be let in).. very close... it's not even that dark.

Any suggestions? Fight it or just plead guilty? Remove tints before court (I'd hate to... first time pulled over in 2 years for this).

What's the cost in NY on something like this?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You could take it to some tinting companies and have them read the tint level. If a couple of shops record 30% tint and are willing to sign a document attesting to the 30% level you could try fighting it. But if they say it is over the legal limit it would be best to get the windows fixed and go to court to get the ticket cleared by showing you got it taken care of.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
what's the lesson here?

tinting your front windows is BAD

·
Registered
17 Posts
My windows were tinted when i got the car, by the person who leased it for 6 months. And they are VERY dark. How do i find out what the % is, as well as the TX state regualtions for tint?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
???? Tinting the windows to the legal limits is GOOD! LoL:laugh:
Where i live, it's illegal to put any sort of aftermarket tint on the front windows.

My windows were tinted when i got the car, by the person who leased it for 6 months. And they are VERY dark. How do i find out what the % is, as well as the TX state regualtions for tint?
For the %, go to a window tint shop, they can scan it and give you the grade of tint you have on your windows. For the state regulations, just pop in to your local pig shack(police station), they will be able to tell you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If it is legal tinting, there should be a decal, usually on the driver's window, about where the doorlock is located. The decal should have the tinting company's name and % of tint. At least that is how they verify it in my state.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My $.02

I cannot speak for NY, but in MO, the fine from 2 tickets is more than the tinting costs. I have 1 already, so the next ticket, the tint comes off.

If I may, and I don't want to hijack your thread here, tirade briefly on my past year's experience with the local law enforcement officials (LEOs) throughout the midwest (IL, IN, OH, IA, MO, KS).
Since the 'tint ticket', I've been pulled over 11 times, and not even one LEO made the slightest mention of my window tint. This is embarrassing to admit, but a couple of those stops were for doozies (i.e. drag racing...etc) where they could have easily added lots of other charges.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Alright, today I got a wonderful ticket from a cop. The tint meter read 35% in the front. I think the legal limit is 30% (meaning 70% of the light has to be let in).. very close... it's not even that dark.

Any suggestions? Fight it or just plead guilty? Remove tints before court (I'd hate to... first time pulled over in 2 years for this).

Thanks, Jeff
OK... I'm lost... if the law there is 30% and you are 35%,,, you were 5% LIGHTER than the law. Or... did you reverse the numbers? Law is 35% and you were 30%?

GTO 1

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OK... I'm lost... if the law there is 30% and you are 35%,,, you were 5% LIGHTER than the law. Or... did you reverse the numbers? Law is 35% and you were 30%?

GTO 1
The numbers are certainly confusing...LoL! 30% means it may only block 30% of light -- 35% means 5% less light gets through than 30%. Limo tint is something like 90% -- where you can't see in and light barely gets though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No actually 30% means that 70% visible light goes through. In NC...legal tint is 35% which means that 65% light has to be seen. The lower the number the darker the tint. Limo tint is actually like a double 5% which goes to 0%. My friend has double 5 on his focus and you can't see anything out the window. It's quite sad. But if the law is 30% and you are sitting at 35% then he has nothing on you. And NY tint law is 70% in the Front, 70% Sides/Rear, and Back is Any %. TINTDUDE.COM

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
No actually 30% means that 70% visible light goes through. In NC...legal tint is 35% which means that 65% light has to be seen. The lower the number the darker the tint. Limo tint is actually like a double 5% which goes to 0%. My friend has double 5 on his focus and you can't see anything out the window. It's quite sad. But if the law is 30% and you are sitting at 35% then he has nothing on you. And NY tint law is 70% in the Front, 70% Sides/Rear, and Back is Any %. TINTDUDE.COM
It's not raining it's precipitating...LoL! The problem is how the numbers are used... If people say "70% light through" it means the same when said "30% light blocking".

NY state law is 70% -- so he can have no more than 30% light blockage. If his windows are 35% light blocking then it is only allowing 65% light to get through, therefore his windows are illegally tinted by law. On the other hand if the ticket states that only 35% light is getting through...then he has real dark limo tint!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i live in new york too. and i got mine tinted at 35%

So here goes
The legal limit like 2 years ago was 35% they jsut changed this limit last year to 70%. Sucks i know, but if you have a recepit from your window tintings that you got done before the change your tints get grandfathered in and they the ticket is gone.

and if im correct the tint ticket is 75$ right? My tints costed me 120$ cause i got them done from a friend but im sure tints go for around 200-250 so i wouldnt take them off before the court date just pay the fine and you should be fine. I've had my tints for 3 years now and NEVER have i ever been pulled for my tints. Ive pulled right up next to cops at red lghts with my tints and they just keep driving. The only time a cop ever gave me a problem was when i was pulled over in the village of ashroken, on the north shore of long island. Its one of those places that will give you a tcket for going 2 mph over the speed limit. Well i was doing 7 over and got a ticket, but all the cop said about my tints were, those are illegal just to let you know. no ticket nothing.

Conclusion: Looking good aint cheap. Dont take the tints off. Plead guilty and mail them a check and save yourself a trip to court. Cause i dont know where your from but the court by my house sucks. And they try to confuse you with the damn parking spots, my sister got a ticket because she didnt pay the parking meter, but the parking meters arnt by the spots. Its a computer at the end of the parking lot where you have to pay and no signs that tell you you hav to pay that. sp pretty much every person gets a ticket the first time they go to that court. Thats mineola court BTW

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
OH! and also when the cop comes over to your car, roll al your windows down. He can NOT make you roll your windows up to scan them. He can simply ask you to roll your windows up, but by law you do not have too. Simply say no. Or you can take it a step further.

wire a (hidden) switch to your window buttons that will cu the power to your power windows. If i cop comes up to ur car before he gets there roll your windos down flip the switch, and if he asks you to roll your windows up tell him, there broken. Then proceed to show him, that the power windows dont work. He'll walk away frustrated, then ocne he drives off flip the switch again and roll your windows up.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I got pulled over for tint in N.Y. fine cost $210 by state trooper

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The numbers are certainly confusing...LoL! 30% means it may only block 30% of light -- 35% means 5% less light gets through than 30%. Limo tint is something like 90% -- where you can't see in and light barely gets though.
No.. I think that's backwards,,, 100% is clear glass, allowing 100% light to pass. The lower the number, the darker the glass, allowing LESS light to pass through. Stock GM windows are around 84%-86% when read with a Tintmeter.
I thing he just got his numbers reversed, law is 35% and he was 5% darker at 30%

GTO 1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.