Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a winter car, and I'm having a look to see what's out there. My father is well connected with a mechanic/used car dealer and has access to car auctions. His clientele is generally on the shallower end of the affluency pool and he thus buys mostly beaters, and due to some sales tax loopholes, doesn't usually buy anything newer than 2004.

My wants are simple. It has to be cheap, and preferably from this century. Manual is a big plus, and AWD or FWD and 4 cylinder would be more desirable. I'm still leaning more towards psuedo-sporty cars that can make some claim to the title. Right now I'm looking towards an '04 Civic Si or Acura EL (Civic EX stateside I believe) but am open to other suggestions. What do you guys think would be a wise purchase?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Wrx or Impreza?

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Saturn S series are good reliable cars that regularly got 200k miles or more. They are dirt cheap and you can get one with aound 100k stateside for 1000-1500. Hell the other day I saw a Toyota Yaris listed for 2k with around 100k miles on it (out of Toronto).

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Lol echo hatch. Honestly man do what I do. Look for a car around $500 that needs little to no work and that has a safety until the end of the winter. Buy it and drive it until then and then scrap the car

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
So an Echo is okay but no to the Saturn's? I think that's uglier.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah. Sometimes I get confused at what pj looks for in a vehicle

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Reliable and decent with snow tires in the snow.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew a guy who raced Echos. The car never looked like much and was underpowered, but it could carve corners with the best of them. His had the dual center exhaust which looked and sounded amazing. Shame he wrecked it at the track. Passed by his house one day and the entire front end was gone.

Looking at Celicas and Preludes atm.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Both can be good but most are beat to shit, just because that Echo was modded, similar to your car actually with the suspension, doesn't mean they are all like that. But they are great on gas and my friend has one with almost 190k miles on his. Really though if you want cheap and reliable you don't have to look much further than those Saturn S series cars, get an SC if you want it a little sporty. Cheap and easy to find manual as well as very reliable and don't show rust on the body. If I didn't find my IRL that was going to be what I got.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
90% of echos I see have 300k+ km on them

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Super reliable btw

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Seems a bit much for a beater. Unless you want to daily it then it's good.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's quite a bit more than I want to spend, but with 100k miles I'm sure there's some room for negotiation. There are also a few Celica GT-Ss with the same engine on the market but they're more expensive and all in rough shape. The Vibe is the best value and much more practical.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This looks like a good buy.

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT 6 SPEED Hatchback SUPER CLEAN | autos et camions | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

180hp from a 1.8 seems respectable. It's a 2ZZ-GE Toyota mill. Very rare.
Never seem to agree with anything you write, sorry. But in my view this is the most sensible thing you have written in 6 months. If you buy this Vibe I believe if it's in good condition to begin with that it will be a good decision. Understand that it's not a race car but a great commuter car

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

Only problem they ever had was the intake gasket cracking and a new one is $20 and a 5 minute install.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Make sure the new one has black rubber and not orange like original.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yea. Only thing I do to vibes is oil changes, brakes, and tires.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.