Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Well, if you live in a climate work snow/ice of course.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know mileage drops off in the winter due to winter blend gas and colder weather but I lost about 5 mpg even before it got cold and my car doesn't seem to have as much power as it did. Just wondering if the gas wasn't as good as it used to be.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Probably mixed with ethanol. If I pump fuel with that in it my mileage drops about 50km to a tank and def less power.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Plus if you leave your car running so it's warm, you burn gas going nowhere.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I always do for about 10 mins every morning and I dont notice much worse fuel mileage. still get 500+km to a tank and thats with 1/16th of a tank left

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well that's kinda illogical don't you think!!! My Cobalt burns 1.4 liters an hour idling, so .23 liters every 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Well I used to get close to 600km :p

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Here's my graph for the Cobalt for 2012. In Canadian gallons mind you. It still shows you fuel economy lower in winter than warm summer months.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My low mpg is still better than your July ha ha

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That is average mostly city driving.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
And girls have a heavy foot

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
One of them does, but mostly idling at lights kills any good average.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't change my driving habits and I don't let it warm up so I guess it must just be the winter gas.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Winter gas is only part of it. Cold air means you need more fuel. If you don't let it warm up that means torque converter lock up will not occur until transmission reaches operating temperatures so for the first 10 minutes of your ride lock-up doesn't latch therefore engine RPMs are up 10% burning extra fuel. All the grease in all the bearings becomes hard in cold weather and harder to turn until it warms up.(2CVjoints and 2 Tripod joints) (4 wheel bearings)Driving through snow is also fuel consuming. You probably have heater motor full on and rear defog adding drag on alternator. It all adds up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My car is a 5 speed and I don't turn the blower on until the coolant temp is 180 and then only to number 2. I think the gas in my area is crap this year because my dad's Aveo also a 5 speed getting lower mileage then last year.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My heater never passes setting two. Anymore is for cold women and I'm a manly man

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
My car is a 5 speed and I don't turn the blower on until the coolant temp is 180 and then only to number 2. I think the gas in my area is crap this year because my dad's Aveo also a 5 speed getting lower mileage then last year.
Do you know what the oil in your manual transmission looks like at 0 degrees?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Being atf it should be extremely thin and run quite well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.