1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding that I'm easily getting about 9% worse gas
mileage (around 5 mpg lower) in the winter vs what
I get during the summer.

At least I'm far enough south that I only have do deal with 3 months more of this.

How much are temps and winter weather affecting everyone else?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I don't have a number report to give you but I def. get worse mileage in the cold.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

actually I am guessing that I also lose around 5mpg average. just guessing though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Winter is here where I am. Snowed a little but temps have dropped to the 20s to mid 30s. Since I got the car, I already lost about 2 mpg.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Its a mix of the colder air in the intake (Denser air needs a bit more fuel to keep the AFR's right) and the winter blend of fuel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have mid 30's on way to work, hits mid to high 50's during the day, then I have high
30's to low 40's on the way home.

Have had some frosty weather as well so wet roads with slipperly leaves all over the place but no snow so far.

My goal for 2010 has been to have a year average of 48+ mpg but it's at 48.51 and slipping lower every tank..

·
Registered
311 Posts
For me the decrease in mileage could be due to cold weather and heavier back to school traffic. I'm getting in the mid 38 mpg range right now....was getting in the mid 40's during summer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My gas mileage has increased dramatically went from like 28 to getting about 40 thats what happens when you put on winter tires and cant go fast because of the not as great speed rating that I'm not willing to chance

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm putting on snow tires pretty soon. Probably next pay day. Hopefully that will help.

Also found out using cruise control helps a little. It's a 55 the whole way to work. I'll put my cruise at 55 if the roads are clear. It helps a little.

Edit: Holding at 28.2 - 28.3. Happy with that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine is averaging 8.6L/100km...usually its around 8.4L/100km if I'm only driving to and from school and not around town. Being winter it usually stays the same...lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
It aslo has to do with the viscocity of the oil. The colder it is the thicker it is so when you first start up you're engine is doing more to move all of the parts on top of the more dense air coming in so the air/fuel mix is a little more rich. Once the engine reaches running temp and the oil gets nice and slippery it should get better. Thats why a warm up before you start driving should do it some good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It aslo has to do with the viscocity of the oil. The colder it is the thicker it is so when you first start up you're engine is doing more to move all of the parts on top of the more dense air coming in so the air/fuel mix is a little more rich. Once the engine reaches running temp and the oil gets nice and slippery it should get better. Thats why a warm up before you start driving should do it some good.
if you just let it run for about 5 min's before you take off it will help alot! and i hear doing this will reduce wear on your engine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.