Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone can recommended a good winter tire for my 2005 Cobalt. I currently have All Season Radials and they don't do crap in all this snow. As soon as my car senses a wheel slipping, the ETC kicks in and kills any chance of good traction to keep going. HELP!! and thanks! ;) p.s. we have gotten over 30 inches of snow in a week.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Welcome to YC.com!

My recommendation would be General Altimax Arctic

I have those tires and i absolutley love em. Great grip on wet/dry/snow/slush!
I haven't got stuck once. :)

We also got all that snow here in Pittsburgh...It's still snowin as we speak...lol

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I know nothing about winter tires. I have Summer only ultra high performance tires haha

these wouldn't do too well in snow...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome to YC.com!

My recommendation would be General Altimax Arctic

I have those tires and i absolutley love em. Great grip on wet/dry/snow/slush!
I haven't got stuck once. :)

We also got all that snow here in Pittsburgh...It's still snowin as we speak...lol
My recommendation was going to be mine - the Gizlaved Nordfrost 5. Unfortunately, these are extremely hard to find because they're only imported from Sweden in small numbers.

Go with Cobaltxfe09's suggestion - the Altimax Arctic is a great tire. It goes right along with my recommendation because it's a re-badged Gizlaved Nordfrost 3, which were phenomenal tires in their own right.

With either of these tires your car will be unstoppable in snow.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I used the Goodyear Eagle GT's A/T's for my winter tires and have no problem whatsoever with them.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I had BFGs and they were pretty decent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your help!

Cobaltxfe09
I will take your recommendation seeing that I live in the 'burgh myself! ;) Have an awesome day everyone!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires...they are amazing in winter weather! i can grip very well, especially when i do a hard launch in the slushy snow. I would recommend them

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires...they are amazing in winter weather! i can grip very well, especially when i do a hard launch in the slushy snow. I would recommend them
You live in Texas, so I'll forgive you for not realizing that All-Season tires are absolute ****ing shit at all times. I would recommend, however, that you don't pretend you have any idea what real winter is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sadly with that winter storm that brought a 20in. of snow and slush, i had to buy these tires, which worked very well for me. Usually i have on Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, which got me no traction at all.... i know its not a lot of snow then whats up north but they worked well for me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Blizzaks!
My issue with Blizzaks is that they rely on their multi-cell compound more than good old fashioned tread pattern. Both my parents run them and they're fine, they just quickly lose a lot of effectiveness as their tread wears down. They're also really expensive.

Going with a Swedish tire or a copy of one (i.e. General Altimax Arctic) will get you not only a better winter tire, but also a cheaper one. Kumho also makes good, reasonably priced tires.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Good thread! I need to get some winter treads lined up for my 07. The Pirelli's just aren't cutting it, LOL! I'm gonna find a set of winter rims and mount some snow tires on them so I can just swap and go when next winter rolls around.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks
amen to that. thats what im rockin and here at Discount Tire, it is actually the best recomended tire out there!

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

My issue with Blizzaks is that they rely on their multi-cell compound more than good old fashioned tread pattern. Both my parents run them and they're fine, they just quickly lose a lot of effectiveness as their tread wears down. They're also really expensive.

Going with a Swedish tire or a copy of one (i.e. General Altimax Arctic) will get you not only a better winter tire, but also a cheaper one. Kumho also makes good, reasonably priced tires.
The compound in blizzaks has mostly silica which makes the tire so pliable, but also breaks it down faster which is why its called a winter tire. so its only made to run 6 months of a year and if you live in all snow conditions it lengthens its life also like an all season. and also the sipes in the tread block make the grip unbelivable in snow, just dont gun it and your good. good easy normal take offs. these are what im rollin on till the snow leaves. but in my opinion and Discount Tires in general Bridgestone blizzaks are the best winter tires for cars. theres my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.