Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

What happens to your rims in the winter?

• Take em' off for the winter

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • leave em' on and keep em' clean

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I leave mine on and there chrome. Just keep them clean I have left mine on for 3 winters now and have no rust or corrosion.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
When I purchase my 18" black MSRs, the plan is to run my steelies in the winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I take mine off for winter, If your state doesn't use salt on the roads then really you'll be fine as long as you keep them clean, but here the salt would just eat them away.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Michigan = Salt. :(

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I live in SALT lake city lol I take off my rims in the winter for 2 reasons. A: so the rims stay nice and don't get corroded. And B: I have summer performance tires on my 18's and i have Blizzak snow tires on my stockers

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Since i am moving from N.Y. to N.C. in 12 days i get to keep my Rims on all year round. Had i sayed in N.Y. i would remove my rims and put Blizztaks on the steelies for the winter !

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
stupid salt... yup, rims going off & steelies back on... ugh... only good part about it is, my car sits lower w/ the steelies (not much, but i can tell) sooo... yeah...lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well I have stock steelies with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS now so I will wait a little while before I switch to my aftermarket steelies that have Hankook Winter Ipike W407 tires...I want to see how the Bridgestone's handle a little snow. I bought the winter wheels/tires because the stock Conti tires were horrid in rain and dry let alone snow...they never saw snow once while I owned the car. Not going to risk my life or my families lives by riding on those in the winter.

Now I have MSR 045's with no tires, but those will have tires next season hopefully. I will still take them off every fall as they are going to have summer only tires on them. KDW 2, RE760 Sport, or S.Drive...not sure which.

·
Registered
63 Posts
X2. The Conti's suck

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well my plan is to find some aftermarket rims and put my conti's on them. They will go away for winter and come out glowing in the spring. :) I will use the stock rims for winter with some winter tires... something I have been procrastinating and need to get going on... any one have any ideas on some good winter tire tread for 18" stock ss/tc rims?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well my plan is to find some aftermarket rims and put my conti's on them. They will go away for winter and come out glowing in the spring. :) I will use the stock rims for winter with some winter tires... something I have been procrastinating and need to get going on... any one have any ideas on some good winter tire tread for 18" stock ss/tc rims?
You might be better off finding some SS/NA 17's and getting winter tires for those...they clear the Brembo's, but just to be safe you could always add a 3mm spacer.

You'll find cheaper winter tires by dropping a size plus winter tires are better narrower than wider...opposite of summer tires.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you keep them on needlessly over a period of time they wear pretty fast from what I've seen with Blizzaks

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you keep them on needlessly over a period of time they wear pretty fast from what I've seen with Blizzaks
QFT...all winter tires though (same with my Hankook).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.