Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a wiring harness/mounting kit/etc. on eBay. I don't give a sh!t about the chimes so it's just the wires not that little box thing. However, they sent me a red wire with it, which from my understand is the ignition wire. I was told by a local audio shop and Best Buy that I have to use a volt meter to tell what fuse that goes into and then run the wire through the dash into the car and connect it to the after market deck. But my friend thinks I can just skip all that and connect the deck directly to the battery. This is really pissing me off because after connecting all the wires and taping them off, the radio will turn on and play CDs and stuff but you won't hear anything. Also, none of my gauges worked while driving so we had to just pull the radio out when driving. Someone, in laymen's terms, please tell me what the hell to do!?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
im not sure what you mean by just wires... do you have a link?

·
Registered
575 Posts
never wire it directly to the battery...if you dont know how to use a volt meter stop what you are doing and get it professionally installed and your gauges probably aren't working because a hell of a lot more than just the chimes are wired into that harness..a buddy of mine hooked up the radio in his cavalier wrong and his fuel pump stopped working

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
never wire it directly to the battery...if you dont know how to use a volt meter stop what you are doing and get it professionally installed and your gauges probably aren't working because a hell of a lot more than just the chimes are wired into that harness..a buddy of mine hooked up the radio in his cavalier wrong and his fuel pump stopped working
^this, and what year is your cobalt? I bought a $129(CAD) harness off of crutchfield because my car is brand new and i wanted to do it PROPERLY. I did a DIY on installation and it is fairly easy to install IF you get the right harness. You shouldn't be hooking up your radio directly to the battery. It will stay on and drain your battery and you'll be screwed if you drive anywhere. The harness does more than just the chimes by the way. It's marked as 'dangerous not to install this harness' according to crutchfield, bestbuy, futureshop...and the list goes on. Most likely installers won't do it unless you have that harness...depending on what year your car is (mines 09).
Just spend the money, get the proper harness and then itll take you HALF the time to install, LESS money because you wont f*ck anything up or require a professional to fix your half-done install, and no headache. And ebay harnesses are not always very good, specially on our cars.

Of course, some ppl on here got away with using the stock harness, but i don't recommend it, and most of these peoples knew really well what they were doing etc.

·
Registered
802 Posts
lol that kinda funny... uhhm i kinda had the same problem but my guage thing was a fuse.. but i cant really help yah out anywhere else cuz i've got a bunch of amps and never used the wiring harness.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You might be able to, if you really knew what you were doing, but I would not, especially considering the experience you may be lacking (I'm not trying to insult you in any way, it's just it isn't simple, and I doubt you want to f*ck anything up on your car) so I suggest either get it installed professionally, and see if they WILL install it using the harness you bought. If you want to do it yourself, or the installers won't install it using the harness you bought, go onto crutchfield.com, get the proper wiring harness (should be around $100-130), buy it from them OR look around for the same harness cheaper, and get it installed or follow my DIY somewhere on here and it will save you alot of trouble in the future.
I dunno what year yours is, but I believe for my cobalt, some airbag controls may be ran through the radio as well as other things, and yes, chimes are very useful when you accidentaly leave your lights on or you are about to lock your keys in your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
me n my friend ran it directly to the battery and to the speakers, no wiring harness used i just turn the radio off when i turn the car off and its all good.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
me n my friend ran it directly to the battery and to the speakers, no wiring harness used i just turn the radio off when i turn the car off and its all good.
k then hope nothing f*cks up man. And that your battery doesnt get drained. Kinda annoying having to remember to turn the unit off. I love my harness, glad I bought it, it works just like the factory radio, very useful

So you also have to turn the radio on manually every time you get into the car?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
in the words of Mike Holmes, 'do it right the first time' and do it once. My car is new, I want it to act like a new car, and I want the job to be done safe, clean. If that setup works for you, that's great. But I want mine done as if it were a factory screen installed. I also will be installing a fairly large sound system this weekend and since the head unit is done the proper way, it will make things alot easier and less problems in the future. My stereo is basically plug and play so if I ever want to take it off, I unplug it like the factory radio (2 plugs and the antenna) and it's done. All these reasons lead to my suggestion. But atleast you got the radio working, enjoy it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
On some models/years you can get away with the hack & splice, but on newer ones you will run into problems without that little canbus box as almost everything is an online module now in chevy vehicles. Power windows/locks communicate to the radio and to onstar, etc.

The dealership my dad works at has had a few vehicles come in with aftermarket radios & they're raising hell cause it won't work & neither does the PW/L, throws a code, etc. Before the audio company's brought out that little canbus box you had to rewire the factory radio up in the trunk.

I've always been on the view of buying the harness to plug in a new radio....less hassle & if I sell the vehicle off I'm not putting the next owner at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
On some models/years you can get away with the hack & splice, but on newer ones you will run into problems without that little canbus box as almost everything is an online module now in chevy vehicles. Power windows/locks communicate to the radio and to onstar, etc.

The dealership my dad works at has had a few vehicles come in with aftermarket radios & they're raising hell cause it won't work & neither does the PW/L, throws a code, etc. Before the audio company's brought out that little canbus box you had to rewire the factory radio up in the trunk.

I've always been on the view of buying the harness to plug in a new radio....less hassle & if I sell the vehicle off I'm not putting the next owner at a disadvantage.
^^this is part of what i have been trying to say. but wtv in the end people will do what they want. I'm an engineering student and I work at a company as an engineer, and one of the main things in engineering is paying a little bit more cash to get the job or design done right. It will pay itself back in less time than you think, and make your life a lot easier. It's been proven many times. Just tryin to help, but if you do it another way and it works and you're happy with it, then great! not tryin to discriminate, just giving my judgement call.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I ordered a wiring harness/mounting kit/etc. on eBay. I don't give a sh!t about the chimes so it's just the wires not that little box thing. However, they sent me a red wire with it, which from my understand is the ignition wire. I was told by a local audio shop and Best Buy that I have to use a volt meter to tell what fuse that goes into and then run the wire through the dash into the car and connect it to the after market deck. But my friend thinks I can just skip all that and connect the deck directly to the battery. This is really pissing me off because after connecting all the wires and taping them off, the radio will turn on and play CDs and stuff but you won't hear anything. Also, none of my gauges worked while driving so we had to just pull the radio out when driving. Someone, in laymen's terms, please tell me what the hell to do!?
our car doesnt have a red wire..

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
our car doesnt have a red wire..
he meant it came with just a random red wire, apart from a harness. This red wire is to go from the red wire on the head unit to one of the fuses in the fuse box. Typical ebay lol. And btw the red wire can go into any fuse in the box that's minimum 10 amps. Again, the harness I bought has a red wire, so you don't have to go to tap into a fuse, or as he did, all the way to the battery in the trunk!

·
Registered
6 Posts
where can the fuse be at...

well im trying to figur out where the fuse for the sterio is located at. cuz i went to autozone and they looked it up in their computer and it only says that its located on the passenger . and i was lookin for it but i cant seem to find it .. does anyone know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That little red wire you got run it to the fuse box and no it doesnt matter what you hook it up to as long as it goes off when you shut your car off mine doesnt for some reason but i know why and it doesnt bother me to turn the deck on and off, unplug all the wire to the new deck and turn the car on and see if that helps if thats the problem then have someone who knows wtf they are doing and wire it correctly sounds like a wire is crossed in the wiring kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With the cheap aftermarket wiring harness will your radio still stay on until you open your door? i got the harness from a friend of mine and was gunna use it but i keep hearing different stories on what will and wont work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With the cheap aftermarket wiring harness will your radio still stay on until you open your door? i got the harness from a friend of mine and was gunna use it but i keep hearing different stories on what will and wont work.
There might be a way. But, as others have already stated it is best to use the integration harness.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Let me chime in really quick. First off, let me ask you this, do you have premium sound? IF you have premium sound in your car, a regular harness will NOT turn on your stock amplifier, thus you will get no sound, REGARLESS of if you hook up the RCA's or the speaker outputs directly. As the speaker outputs in your harness run right to your stock amp, if your amp isn't getting the system switch input from the radio, it won't turn on, thus no sound. I ran into this problem installing my Pioneer AVH-4100DVD into my car, and it happened to be that the control box for my harness didn't have an amp wire to it. This may answer your problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.