Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so from the amplifier in the trunk im going to wiring 16 gauge speaker wiring to all four speakers (br, bl, fr, fl) but the front speakers are hard cuz i cant seem to find the entrance of the firewall that is protected by the rubber tube thing.

any help? also, if im going to wire it to the front left (driver side door speaker) would i be better off running the speaker wiring down the passenger side, through the dash and then into the speaker to avoid interference or?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i would just run it to the speaker wires found behind the CD deck...........Make use of the stereo harnessess, and wire right into those, and that way, you wont need to re-wire anything!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont i need speaker wire if im using a amp?

does it go rca (interconnects) from headunit to amp, then speaker wire from amp to the speakers?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill show pictures later, but the rubber wire holder that goes from inside the car to the door its a plug that takes up the entire tube, so what i did was drill holes in the door and in the vehicle, wrapped the outside of the speaker wire with electrical tape and caulk the holes

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
dont i need speaker wire if im using a amp?

does it go rca (interconnects) from headunit to amp, then speaker wire from amp to the speakers?
Speakerwire is simple 18-22 gague wire that you can use.....it is the RCA cable from head unit to the amp, but all you would have to do after that, is run your speaker wires right back to your harness(instead of messing around with drilling holes, or needing to rewire the speakers). When you buy an aftermarket deck, it will come with an aftermarket aux connector to wire the deck in, and usually it would be safer to also pick up a factory harness adapter to plug directly into your stereo harness for your car.

Now, you can pick up RCA cables with 18-22 gague wiring, strip the RCA ends off one side, and wire them to your aftermarket stereo connector(into the respective four speakers), run it into your amp, and then run your amplified speaker wires to their respective wire in the factory jumper harness............And then you should be fine!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
o... umm o well lol i should be fine with th speaker wire tho right? ill just splice the existing connections already connected to the harness? and well

thats what i did? will that be fine?

so turn on lead to the amp from the head unit, power/ground from the amp, rca cables from the head unit to the amp, and from the amp physical speaker wire to every speaker (12 gauge, which is why i was confused about just splicing with the existing)

·
Registered
594 Posts
very artistic picture;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another question im thinking of getting a 4 ohm/2 ohm mono amp that produces the same at each level, can i wire two 2 ohm subwoofers to it or do i need to get two 4 ohm subwoofers?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
another question im thinking of getting a 4 ohm/2 ohm mono amp that produces the same at each level, can i wire two 2 ohm subwoofers to it or do i need to get two 4 ohm subwoofers?
you have to watch your wiring on your subs, but yes, you can wire 2 2ohm subs. Just make sure you run them in series, not as 2 separate circuits from the same channel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_2-ohm_mono.jpg

so that?

also is there a way to check a relay that i installed to turn on amplifiers when there is no amplifier currently present?

i used this website, the car audio part to connect it
How To Use a Relay in Car Electronics | eHow.com

but i also connected the red wire (87a) to the other red wires too
Yes, that wiring diagram is right.

as for the relay, i just wired the signal wire to the wiper fuse.......works just fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.