Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so sadly I dont drive a stick I have an automatic.
I was wondering if shifting to Nutreal while driving then shifting back into drive would damage my car.
My friend was driving and he done it. It shot my RPMs up and made a reving noise that made it sound like we were switching gears, and when we throw it back into drive it shoots off. Just wondering about the damage part before we kill my car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wasnt there a 5 page thread on this a couple days ago?
Or are you talking about tranny slammin?
If so, thats not good for the transmission

·
Registered
610 Posts
yeah that doesnt sound like a good idea haha. i used to shift from neutral to drive at a light or something. is that just as bad?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
"neutral bombing" is very bad for your tranny, Because unlike on a standard transmission you do not have the clutch to provide a "gray area" between, in gear and neutral.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
yeah that doesnt sound like a good idea haha. i used to shift from neutral to drive at a light or something. is that just as bad?
that there, is what we call tranny slammin. when you rev your car up at a light, and it goes green, then tossing it into drive at high RPM's, have quite serious consequences to automatics. First off, it's not good for the torque converter, second, you risk shredding gears if you do it often enough, and third, the differential gearing in the transmission isnt meant to handle that sudden surge of power, so you run the possibility of not only snapping a drive shaft, but blowing up the diff gears, and creating a nice hole in the transmission.

Does that give you enough info why NOT to do that?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
that there, is what we call tranny slammin. when you rev your car up at a light, and it goes green, then tossing it into drive at high RPM's, have quite serious consequences to automatics. First off, it's not good for the torque converter, second, you risk shredding gears if you do it often enough, and third, the differential gearing in the transmission isnt meant to handle that sudden surge of power, so you run the possibility of not only snapping a drive shaft, but blowing up the diff gears, and creating a nice hole in the transmission.

Does that give you enough info why NOT to do that?
Thank you for explaining that.. I really didn't want to..

·
Registered
610 Posts
oh no no i would put my car in neutral when i stopped and then back to drive before i hit the gas.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yeah i just figured instead of keeping my foot on the brake for 3 minutes (traffic lights suck where i live) i'd just put the car in neutral.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thank you for explaining that.. I really didn't want to..
you are most welcome, i've also noticed i went from a few thousand posts down to 1500, what the heck????

and yes, i do know my stuff, lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Really? thats weird.. have you noticed any missing posts?
no, cause i'm spread amongst tons of threads, two posts here, three posts there. it's just really weird.............

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
LMFAO NEUTRAL DROPPING!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: IT'S EXTREMELY BAD!!!!!! HOPE YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT TOO MANY TIMES OR GOODBYE TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
LMFAO NEUTRAL DROPPING!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: IT'S EXTREMELY BAD!!!!!! HOPE YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT TOO MANY TIMES OR GOODBYE TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!
you talking to me or bolt?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright thanks yall. : )
I didnt think it was going to be anything good we only done it like 3 times. XD
I'll tell him about it seeing as he drives me everywhere in my car on the weekends. (Not that my parents know that >.>)
We accidently done it at first then figured it sounded neat so bleh.
Wont happen anymore!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.